Pool Disaster

Apr 16, 2010
My first post. Live in Middle TN, just had the worst rain and flooding I have ever seen. Pool was already sparkling before rain. Unfortunately the monsoon downpour resulted in water sweeping over my lawn, over a wall, through the fence and into the pool, depositing silt and top soil and turning my oasis into a quagmire. Can't see the bottom in the shallow end. Where do I start? It's a chlorine pool (not yet doing the BBB). Have taken the polaris out since it is just churning up the muck at the bottom. My 1st idea is to vacuum to waste, super shock and then get the polaris back in. Am I missing anything here? It is all rather depressing after such an amazing start to the pool year.

I'd agree. Might as well vac to waste since you've got water to get rid of anyway, and maybe more on the way. The Polaris will keep the remaining crud stirred up so the filter can get what the cleaner doesn't. Backwash when it needs it and run the pump 24/7.

I will get at it tomorrow. Forecast is for sun tomorrow, thank goodness. Keep you informed of how it goes. Right now it couldn't be any worse (in terms of pool state). Thanks for the advice,

Andrew

Just got back from a 3 day business trip. Pool is crystal clear! YAY! Here is how I turned it round. Shocked with chlorine granules and held it at about 20+ FC for 5 days. Backwashed every 4 hours for the first 3 days, then once a day. Raised PH to 7.8 on day 4. Vacuumed to waste first and second day, couldn't see what I was doing.
Day 5 added super floc out, ran filter for 4 hrs, then turned everthing off overnight. Vacuumed to waste in the morning. Topped up chlorine, went away for three days, left filter on 24hrs a day and polaris 280 3 hrs/day. Got home, vacuumed to wasted the final residue. Pool like a diamond :-D I am soooooo pleased with myself :p Trust me, after the storm the pool was a disaster and I was heartbroken, but 10 days later.......splooooooosh

asjwalsh said:
...back from a business trip. Pool is crystal clear! YAY! Here is how I turned it round. Shocked with chlorine granules and held it at about 20+ FC for 5 days. Backwashed every 4 hours for the first 3 days, then once a day. Raised PH to 7.8 on day 4. Vacuumed to waste first and second day, couldn't see what I was doing.
Day 5 added super floc out, ran filter for 4 hrs, then turned everthing off overnight. Vacuumed to waste in the morning. Topped up chlorine, went away for three days, left filter on 24hrs a day and polaris 280 3 hrs/day. Got home, vacuumed to wasted the final residue. Pool like a diamond :-D I am soooooo pleased with myself :p Trust me, after the storm the pool was a disaster and I was heartbroken, but 10 days later.......splooooooosh
OK, now then:
What level CC do you have?
How much FC do you loose in an overnight test?

Just wondering, since we had a monsoon 3 years ago and a newly planted area washed right down a rock walkway, over stone steps, and right into the pool. It took me almost 2 weeks to get it clean again, and then I had to keep it at shock levels for another 2 days before the CC level dropped!

It's sounding good, we just want to make sure! :cool:

Terry in NC

OK, now then:
What level CC do you have?
How much FC do you loose in an overnight test?

All great questions but I am a pool muppet and use a very rudimentary testing kit. I am back on the road again, but when I get back on thursday I will get a proper kit and start watching the numbers. Sorry to be so vague :oops:

It's still uber clear though :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.