Rain, Rain, Go AWAY!!!!

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
We are getting inundated with rain here in middle Tennessee. I've already had to drain roughly 8 inches of water off of my pool to keep it from overflowing, and it's STILL raining. I've got a large tall plastic garbage can that I use to clean my filter, and I'd guesstimate it's got about 12 inches of water in it, if not more. I turned it over yesterday morning to catch some rainwater while I was out draining a couple of inches off of the pool the first time, so it missed all of the rain Friday night/Saturday morning. Lots of flooding, both I-40 and I-24 are shut down...not good.

Yep, that isn't good. What stinks is that there just isn't much that you can do about your pool in that situation aside from running out (in the rain) and sending water to waste, all the while hoping that your pool doesn't start to turn green.

We had to do that last fall and there were some days that even the overflow drain could not keep up. Over a period of three days, I lost almost 30 ppm of CYA in my pool from storm water dilution, overflow, and actively sending water to waste.

Ditto that! Last weekend's big rain here nearly overflowed the pool, and caused it to turn a greenish cast. I'm new here, just found out about BBB, so I started adding bleach and running the pump more. And just when I've been getting it under control, it has to rain off and on ALL WEEKEND. Getting very tired of this :twisted:

Hang in there, Mike...I feel your pain. Last year, our pool overflowed twice with heavy rain JUST when I had the chemistry perfect. Crystal clear blue to mudslide color. Ugh. Grrrr. :grrrr: It's so sad to see all that nice balanced water go down the drains. :cry: We'll be standing by to see how everything goes. Thank goodness we're not like a lot of people who have to stand over their pools scratching their head about what to do after something like this. Yes!! Pool knowledge rocks!! :goodjob:

Thanks all for the good thoughts.

It finally stopped raining here around 6 or 7 pm. I'm sure if you've watched the news you've heard of the flooding issues we're having here around Nashville, especially west Nashville. Thankfully we haven't had any of those issues where I live (although I'm less than a half mile from Old Hickory lake). I ended up having to drain water off of my pool 6 times total, and drained about 2 - 3 inches every time. Just for grins, I stuck a yard stick in the bucket on my deck - 15.5 inches of rain since yesterday morning, and that didn't include the first couple of inches Friday night. Only problem we had was water leaking down through our fireplace.. :shock: First time it's ever done that.

Weather forecast is sunny and dry the next five days :party:

edit: actually we did have some flooding here in the town where I live. A creek overflowed the bridge on Main St, but no problems in my subdivision.

so glad it's sunny here this morning......we flooded both Saturday and then again Sunday. My pump was most of the way underwater on Saturday. Suprisingly enough, Sunday morning, both main pump and the intex I use for solar panels both fired up.....hoping they do today. Haven't been able to check yet. Had to drain lots of water out too. Here is a pic and a link to more.

Edited to say, this pic was taken on Sunday, and the fence is 8'.......not the standard 6'.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... e5de11d9c1

Attachments

• P1040474-1.JPG
    P1040474-1.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 101
frustratedpoolmom said:
I shouldn't have been so sarcastic - it wasn't until I saw the news coverage did I realize how serious the situation down there is. :oops:

Hope things improve there quickly...

sometimes a sense of humor is the only thing that gets you through times like this. :) We were lucky, only the pool and outbuilding got water in them. And suprisingly, after being underwater for two days in a row, both the pool pump and the intex pump are running this morning. I'm amazed. (it did get the ground fault outlet, so that will have to be replaced, but that's cheaper than a pump.) What scares me, is that most of the people didn't have flood insurance. The map of the 100 year flood plain is definately going to change around here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can appreciate what you guys are going thru just a bit. Last September here in the Atlanta area, we had what they called a 500-year flood. I was fortunate to not have any water damage in the house, or to the pool. I did, however, pump around 24" of water out of my pool in less than 24 hours.

I was out by the pool in the pouring rain with lightning bouncing around at all hours of the night to drain water. That was before I realized I could have left the MPV on 'waste' and cut power to the pump and it would have drained with no problem. Hopefully, I will remember this in 500 years when this rolls back around.

Best wishes in dealing with this situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.