Polmeric or regular sand for filling paving stone joints?

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Our paving stone pool deck and patio is nearing completion but the joints have not been filled yet. A neighbor recommended that I talk to the contractor about using polymeric sand. He said that using polymeric sand will result in a much more stable patio and will stop weeds from growing in the joints.

I just got done browsing the paving stone manufacturer's web site and they have a line of polymeric sand that they sell. I also watched a video on the website showing the correct installation method of polymeric sand with their paving stones. I have mentioned this to my contractor before and if I remember correctly, he said that it would prevent drainage between the stones (which is something you want). I would like some opinions and pro's/con's before I talk to the contractor again about this. If this is a money issue for the contractor, I would rather pay an extra now to save me years of weeds and washed out joints later on.

Can you imagine how much sand you will drag into the pool with regualar sand in the joints when you walk on the pavers, and then go into the pool?

Our neighbors used regular sand with their pavers and had to clean out their canister filter within two weeks because of all the sand that got into the pool from the pavers.

Like the others said, go with the polymeric sand, you won't regret it.

Is it possible that the contractor is counting on drainage to occur between the pavers? Were any drains installed anywhere in the patio? How is the patio graded? These answers may point to why he is not jumping on the polymeric sand idea.

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.