Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about stuck Laars Gas Heater ON/OFF/Pilot switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about stuck Laars Gas Heater ON/OFF/Pilot switch

I have a Laars Lite Model LLG400N gas heater and the ON/OFF/Pilot switch is totally stuck in the off position. I have followed the start up directions step by step but it won't budge. I sprayed it with WD-40 with no luck and I don't have the correct size torx wrenches to remove the switch. Does anyone know if this switch is electronically controlled and may just be locked out?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about stuck Laars Gas Heater ON/OFF/Pilot switch

Welcome to TFP!!

Have you tried pushing down on the knob while trying to turn it?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, defintely pushed down many times before and after spraying with WD40 but I wonder if there is something wrong that is triggering an electronic lock out...I have no idea if this switch is set up to operate that way. I did get the right size torx wrench today and will see if I can lossen it up by taking it apart and cleaning it out.

4. Back To Top    #4

Argh! I got the right size torx wrench but the head has a dimple in the middle, it must take a special wrench!

5. Back To Top    #5

It sounds like one of those "security" screws. I think HD sells a set that might work
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't those type of switches need to be pushed in before you can turn them?

And the screws are called "tamper-proof torx." Sets of 1/4" drive sockets are readily available. If not at the hardware store, then at an auto parts store.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!