Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vac'd a thermometer

1. Back To Top    #1

Vac'd a thermometer

The title does not lie. We vac'd a plastic thermometer. It is about 1/2" dia x 5" long or so. Went right up the vac line into the plumbing between the skimmer and pump. Needless to say I am quite concerned. So far, no change in pressure at the filter, and it is not in the pump basket. I also worked the hose quite a bit to see if it was still in there, and could not find it.

So do I.....

- forget about it.
    - get a roto rooter type guy to smash it with a drain snake all the while pumping to waste to keep the mercury (or whatever it is) out of the pool water.
    - fill the hole with dirt knowing that a pool is just not for me.

Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vac'd a thermometer

Reverse flow with a Drain King?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

yeah def reverse the flow with the drain king.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

4. Back To Top    #4

If you don't have a drain king handy wrap a rag around the hose and seal it off as best as possible and back flush the pipe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I am ceratinly less worried than before as I found out there is no mercury in the thermometer, just colored alcohol.

What is hard to figure is that just below the skimmer port, it turns 90 degrees. I have no idea how the thermometer made that turn. Consequently, I do not know if it will come back out and make that turn again. Either way, I am less upset today than I was yesterday.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

I would have expected that the thermometer would had stopped at the 90.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree (and wish it would have). Running the pump all weekend, the thermometer seems to not have any effect on operation as far as water flow is concerned.
    Jim

8. Back To Top    #8

You sure it's not stuck in the vac hose? Unless it broke into pieces I can see how it would have gotten past that first 90┬║ Elbow.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/╝hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Positive, I pushed a 10 foot 1/2" dia pvc pipe through the hose a couple of times. Believe me, this is a complete mystery. No broken pieces in the pump basket either.
    Jim

10. Back To Top    #10

No help now I know, but in the future, you should use a skimmer plate and vac with the basket in place.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

11. Back To Top    #11

Blow the line with a 3 HP+ blower or shop vac. Someone's gonna get wet in case it doesn't quite clear the port. Gotta make sure it doesn't fall back in.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.