Pump Problem

spiazza

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 20, 2009
Berkeley Heights, NJ
I decided to open the pool this year on my own. Everything was going great until it came time to start the pump.

I own a hayward super pump.

I removed all the plugs on the skimmers and the return valves (including the polaris return). All drainage plugs have been put back in place on the main pump (2), polaris (1), and DE filter (top and bottom).

I filled the main pump skimmer basket full of water. I set multi-valve handle to circulate. I turn the power on the main pump and all I hear is a loud humming noise from the motor. Water doesn't start to flow, no suction, vacuum, nothing.

I checked for any blockages pool side and pump side. Pump impeller is not blocked. Nothing.

Before I call in a professional, I wanted to post here and hope that maybe I'm forgetting something simple that is causing the pump not successfully start moving water.

Could be the start capacitor went bad. They are pretty simple to replace if you feel comfortable with that sort of thing.

I doesn't appear the motor is spinning at all. It's a self priming pump. How can I test if its priming properly?

The pump emits a loud hum sound immediate after I turn it on. After 5-10 seconds is shuts itself down and resets after a few minutes.

Tools needed:

3/8" drive ratchet, extensions a little longer than the motor, a 9/16" socket

The motor is connected to the wet end(the black pump body) using a seal plate. THhere are four 9/16" bolts connecting the seal plate to the pump body. Loosen and remove the two lower bolts and then the two uppers.

Pull the pump motor and seal plate back. The volute will likely come with it partially, remove it and set to the side.

The impeller is now visible. Spin it by hand a few times. Turn on the motor. If the motor turns on and spins the impeller, great! Put the volute back on. It will be labeled TOP. Orientate it correctly and reinstall in reverse order. Don't over tighten the bolts. Snug plus a little extra is usually enough.

Refill the pump basket and turn it on.

If the hum returns, the start capacitor will need to be swapped.

Scott

Thanks for the info Scott.

I actually took the pump apart yesterday and checked the impeller although I didn't turn on the motor while I had the unit open. There was nothing jamming the impeller. Rotated it a few times by hand. Put the unit back together. Same hum noise with no suction.

Tomorrow I'm going to call to have the motor looked at and repaired.

Update: I took the motor apart again this afternoon. The impeller was actually stuck. I was able to get it to turn clockwise. I put it all back together and now the pump is running. Thanks for all the help.

I not have another issue, but I'll post a new forum question.

Now that I have the pump running. The noise coming off it is much louder than in years past. It sounds like a friction/smooth grinding. I'm assuming its because the bearings are rusty and there is no lubrication.

Are the bearings replaceable? or is it better to replace the entire pump at that point?

The pump is about 5-6 yrs old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.