How to run intex swg

Apr 2, 2010
We just installed two 2'20' solar panels and 8110 intex swg. When I talked to the girl about the run time for the swg she said I should only have to run it 3-4 hrs per day, however the manual says that for the size of pool I have 13500k I should run it 9-10 hrs per day. If any one can help or has a intex like mine with the same size pool I would greatly appricate it. Thanks a lot!

Problem with run times on the intex swg is it all depends on your pool, how much sun does it get, what is the current temp, where you are located, how often the pool is used, how much debris gets in the pool... the list goes on and on. Id suggest starting at say 6 hours a day for a few days and test your levels each day, if its climbing, back it down a couple of hours till you get it right. Right now i run mine a hour day, and turn it off every few days, im sure in the summer that will increase though.

Ok thanks a lot I will try that and see how it goes, I live in in and the pool get a pretty decent amount of sunlight from about 9-6. After 6 it is shaded by a tree on the west side of the pool. Thanks for your help!!!

Daniel

If you maintain the recommended levels according to the "Water Balance for SWGs" article in Pool School- you should not have to run it as often as they say.

Dale gave you good advice - it will be trial and error at first trying to find the right run time.

Just for comparison,

I have appx the same amount of gallons in my pool. It get's direct sun pretty much the entire day up until appx 5-6pm.

Last year was my 1st year with the Intex SWG..

I run my filter from 11pm till 6am with the SWG coming on appx midnight till 5am. (I figured... why not have it come on at night when the sun isn't "beating up" the chlorine and see how that does).

My filter does also come on from 3pm to 5pm just for a bit of circulation (NO SWG).

(I also let (1) 3" Tri-chlor puck "wander around" in a floater set on it's lowest setting which lasts about a week). I don't even know why I do that .... I guess some sort of weird paranoia....).

After looking at my TF-100 results, Everything was fantastic. About 1x a month or if we had a heavy load / family over etc, I was tossing in a bag of shock (Aqua-Chem di-chlor "sized for a 12,000 gallon pool) . --- After "the event", a check with the TF100 showed that everything was A-ok.

I picked up a few tubs of CYA but the pool calculator always shows that I need very little of it so it's pretty much sitting around. Same with the muriatic acid. Just a tiny bit needed per the pool calculator.

I keep a few big jugs of bleach around just for emergencies / power outages (the SWG) etc.

I just opened it this weekend. Everything was crystal clear. I'm sure I'll need some bleach to get everything started. I have the filter just circulating for pretty much entire weekend. I'll check my numbers and adjust the SWG this year as needed. (Last year I didn't get the pool up and running until July 1st so I didn't have an entire season to get "perfect" opinion but I think I'm at a great starting point.)

EVERYONE ON THE FORUM HAVE GIVEN OPINIONS WHEN NEEDED AND I'VE COPIED ALMOST EVERY ARTICLE, LAMINATED SOME AND KEEP THEM WITH MY TEST KIT. I DON'T THINK I'D BE THIS FAR ALONG WITHOUT THE GOOD SMART PEOPLE HERE. It's been 20+ years since I've had a pool so this fourm is a HUGE help.

I've had no problems keeping my levels correct and the pool looks great.

I was running the SWG for 8-9 hours but cut it down (as said - trial and error). I could most likely drop an extra 1/2 to an hour off my times but I think I'll just leave it alone. The pool has a nice clean smell and the water looks very polished so I think I may just stay exactly where I'm at.

Just wanted to provide a little detail in case it may help. Like others said , looks like every situation is different. I do not regret getting the SWG though.

Thanks a lot for all the great info. I have one more quick ?, we are going to be leaving to go to florida on thursday and will be gone for about six days. I am planing on covering the pool while we are gone. How long do you think I should run the swg while we are gone with the pool being covered if all of my chemical levels are where they need to be? Thanks!

Daniel

We have had issues with just shock, cover and go if it is more than 2 days and the water temp is above 78. I've come home to green water or the beginnings of it. If the weather is warm and our water is warm, I usually set it down to about 1 or 2 hrs per day - mid day run time. If it is going to be cool out, then the shock cover and go works well for longer periods of time.

I wonder if something is lurking on your cover... I have done this numerous times over 3 years, several extended trips during the summer, including the heat of July, they vary from 4 or 5 days to 7-9 days - never had any issues whatsoever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.