Knowledge is power

Firebird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2010
Northern NJ, USA
Hi all, I've been lurking here for a few weeks soaking in a ton of great information, and I sincerely thank everyone who contributes here! Two years ago i bought a house with a pool. Starting from ground zero and eager to learn, I even bought the most expensive test strips because they came with a booklet on water chemistry. Surely this would tell me everything I needed to know, right?

The first year I hired someone to open and close the pool, and the season actually went pretty smoothly. Last year I decided to open the pool myself, which wasn't too bad either. Early on I kept adding CYA based on the persistently low reading I was getting from the previous year's test strips. When those old strips ran out and I got some new ones, I found the CYA was maybe 70 or 80, yikes! This was much higher than the 30-50 I was shooting for based on the booklet's recommendation. (Note to self: don't trust old test strips, especially if you leave the bottle outside one day and it gets rained on. :oops: ) I didn't know if the high CYA was a problem I should do something about, or that 70 was actually OK for a SWG pool, but more importantly had no idea more cyanuric acid would require higher chlorine levels.

I was shooting for a FC level of 1 (from the booklet again), and all summer I had minor algae outbreaks on the shady southern wall of the pool, grrrrr. The free chlorine level dropped to zero a couple times too, which seemed very strange. The SWG controller looked like it was working fine, so I put some dielectric grease on the connector contacts of the cell to make a better connection, maybe it was shorting out. It had rained that day, maybe water was getting in the contacts. That seemed to work, with the chlorine production set a little higher the FC level came back up! Funny stuff, eh? The algae kept creeping back of course. After some research I even wondered if high phosphates were the problem.
:hammer:

Anyway, even though the pool is still covered it all makes a lot more sense and that newbie is gone forever.... Thank you all again!

-Firebird

Welcome to the forum. The phrase "knowledge is power" is perfect for TFP. It has been used some in seasons past but that's the first time this year, I think.

It really is the essence of TFP. We teach folks to understand pool water chemistry and then how to adjust it and keep it where it belongs. Once armed with the knowledge, the power is all in your hands.....not someone else's.

Welcome. And you are so right..

I spent 7 years scratching my head knowing something wasn't clicking and never getting the answers I needed. I was ready to sell my house after last year. Now it clicks and I feel like a new person.

We all have pools for whatever reason..for me at first it was sort of something I fell into because I liked the house. Now, it's more like a vacation re-creation every day.

I tell everyone I know with a pool about this site.

Good luck!