Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
All over avid shroomers and sneaking off to their favorite hidden "treasure trove" lands of these tastey gems. We just started finding our first lovely black specimans three days ago and picked about 4lbs of them today. We cooked them golden brown in olive oil tonight - yummmmmmm. Nothing beats a Morel for that special one-time-a-year delicacy! Once the black Morels are done, up come the goldens, browns and grays. Good shrooming ahead this year, picking is almost a month early!

Attachments

• DCP_0425.JPG
    DCP_0425.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 65
Back in the day, we were lucky enough to have them in our yard most years in Kansas. I have yet to see one since I moved to NC over thirty years ago. My assumption is they do not get this far South. True or have I just been oblivious.

NWMN, those are beautiful!!

That's so interesting to me. I have not seen mushrooms like that down here in Texas and even if I had, I would be afraid to consume them as I just don't know enough about mushrooms to be able to trust my own judgment about their safety when it comes to picking them.

What do they taste like? Would you use them just like any other mushroom (salads, pasta sauce, etc.)?

257WbyMag said:
What do they taste like? Would you use them just like any other mushroom (salads, pasta sauce, etc.)?

They taste like.....morels. They don't taste like anything else I've ever had. Mostly they are eaten dipped in egg and crumbs of some kind and fried.

It takes a pretty sharp eye to be good at hunting them, and people keep their spots a closely guarded secret.

Yep, Morels have a taste all their own and each type of Morel tastes different. The blacks you see in the bowl are the very best - having a particularly nutty taste. The goldens taste a lot more mushroomy, browns more mild and the grays a bit mossy. Each is found in it's own habitat - blacks most often in the woods on or near grouped, dead, rotting or mossy poplar stands, sometimes under pine trees. Goldens and browns most often along protected gravel roadsides or gravel pits - sandy ground, grays the latest in the season to be found in meadows, old cow paths and amongst mossy or dead elm or poplar tree stands. Generally the conditions required are that the days be in the 60s and the nights in the 40s for at least 4 days in a row and they begin popping up.

Morels should never be eaten raw and eating with alcohol should be avoided so that stomach upset is not the result. A few people cannot eat mushrooms at all and should avoid these as well. Most people have no proplems whatsoever with them though and they have the most wonderful flavor! A true Morel can never be mistaken once seen - they are always completely hollow on the entire inside. Our favorite way to prepare is to cut lengthwise, soak in ice water, pat very dry and dust with the lightest amount of flour and fry golden in olive oil. They can be prepared up to the floured stage, placed cut side down on a waxed paper covered cookie sheet to be frozen, then placed into zip lock bags to keep until ready to fry. When we pick huge amounts we often freeze for a summer full of this special treat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.