Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: It's Morel Mushroom Time Again

1. Back To Top    #1

It's Morel Mushroom Time Again

All over avid shroomers and sneaking off to their favorite hidden "treasure trove" lands of these tastey gems. We just started finding our first lovely black specimans three days ago and picked about 4lbs of them today. We cooked them golden brown in olive oil tonight - yummmmmmm. Nothing beats a Morel for that special one-time-a-year delicacy! Once the black Morels are done, up come the goldens, browns and grays. Good shrooming ahead this year, picking is almost a month early!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: It's Morel Mushroom Time Again

Already over here. Normally the very earliest we ever see them is March 21st, but more typically around the 1st of April.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Back in the day, we were lucky enough to have them in our yard most years in Kansas. I have yet to see one since I moved to NC over thirty years ago. My assumption is they do not get this far South. True or have I just been oblivious.

NWMN, those are beautiful!!
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

wow. just wow...amazing. I've not been so fortunate here...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

That's so interesting to me. I have not seen mushrooms like that down here in Texas and even if I had, I would be afraid to consume them as I just don't know enough about mushrooms to be able to trust my own judgment about their safety when it comes to picking them.

What do they taste like? Would you use them just like any other mushroom (salads, pasta sauce, etc.)?
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    What do they taste like? Would you use them just like any other mushroom (salads, pasta sauce, etc.)?
    They taste like.....morels. They don't taste like anything else I've ever had. Mostly they are eaten dipped in egg and crumbs of some kind and fried.

It takes a pretty sharp eye to be good at hunting them, and people keep their spots a closely guarded secret.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, Morels have a taste all their own and each type of Morel tastes different. The blacks you see in the bowl are the very best - having a particularly nutty taste. The goldens taste a lot more mushroomy, browns more mild and the grays a bit mossy. Each is found in it's own habitat - blacks most often in the woods on or near grouped, dead, rotting or mossy poplar stands, sometimes under pine trees. Goldens and browns most often along protected gravel roadsides or gravel pits - sandy ground, grays the latest in the season to be found in meadows, old cow paths and amongst mossy or dead elm or poplar tree stands. Generally the conditions required are that the days be in the 60s and the nights in the 40s for at least 4 days in a row and they begin popping up.

Morels should never be eaten raw and eating with alcohol should be avoided so that stomach upset is not the result. A few people cannot eat mushrooms at all and should avoid these as well. Most people have no proplems whatsoever with them though and they have the most wonderful flavor! A true Morel can never be mistaken once seen - they are always completely hollow on the entire inside. Our favorite way to prepare is to cut lengthwise, soak in ice water, pat very dry and dust with the lightest amount of flour and fry golden in olive oil. They can be prepared up to the floured stage, placed cut side down on a waxed paper covered cookie sheet to be frozen, then placed into zip lock bags to keep until ready to fry. When we pick huge amounts we often freeze for a summer full of this special treat.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!