Hayward S200 sand filter repair question

Apr 30, 2010
I'm in the process of opening a pool that has been closed for several years. I "adopted" my wife's pool when we married. It was about ten years old at that time and she hadn't used it in a couple of seasons. The liner had some bad tears and leaked horribly. We didn't have the money to repair it last year but are getting it going now. Our new liner was installed a couple of weeks ago and it looks beautiful. As soon as we started the pump though, sand started coming out the inlets. From my own research, it sounded like we have one or more damaged laterals in our Hayward S200 sand filter.

I dug into this chore today. I got all the sand and water out and gutted the filter. The top diffuser had a chunk broken out of it, lateral holder was cracked and a couple of the laterals had come out and were lying to the side. I'm going to buy ten new laterals, a lateral holder and a top diffuser as well has a handful of new o-rings. It was a pain, but I managed to do everything through the main access at the top of the filter. The lateral holder was just barely too large to fit out with the laterals in place however, even with all the laterals in the up position. It was broken anyway, so I broke a couple more out of the holder and was then able to move it around in such a way that I could get it out. Installing the new one is going to be a pain though. The only way I can think of to do it would be to put the laterals in the tank, then the holder and then try to assemble everything one handed, in the dark, pretty much be feel, through the access hole.

This all sounds pretty crazy when I could just take the tank apart. The few people I've mentioned this too talk like this is really big taboo. I know taking all those many bolts apart to separate the tank hemispheres would be a pain, but is there any real, concrete, good reasons not to take the tank apart to simplify reinstalling all the laterals and piping? Has anyone ever done this and succeeded? Why do so many people seem to advise against this course of action? Removing and reinstalling all those dad blamed bolts aside, it seems like this would be a no-brainer. Am I missing something?

Thanks to anyone that might be able to offer any advice or knowledge.

Sincerely,
- Byron Followell

Hey, Brian,

Welcome to the forum!!

Removing and reinstalling all those dad blamed bolts aside, it seems like this would be a no-brainer. Am I missing something?
No, I think you are right on target. You have analyzed the issue and know the fix. Go for it!

I have seen repoerts on here of leaks where the gasket doesn't go back smoothly to seal the two halves. Your call to judge whether or not you need a new gasket.

Ther are several mechanical gurus here to help you with the reassembly if you hit a snag.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement guys.

Well, my filter rebuild went without a hitch. It was really sort of anti-climatic. I put the new lateral assembly in the filter and install new o-rings on everything, filled the bottom half with water and then poured in the 200 lbs of new sand. Then came the pain in the butt part of putting the top half back on and tightening all 24 nuts and bolts. Everything fired up without a hitch or even the slightest leak though. I really have no idea why anyone would be so concerned about taking the filter apart or why anyone would want to try to do all the work through that little bitty hole at the top when taking it apart and reassembling it was so easy. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

Well, now for the second part of my story. I said everything went without a hitch. Well that wasn't 100% correct. Everything to do with the filter itself went without a hitch. Once I started everything up though, something in the Hayward H150 pool heater decided to blow and water was pouring out of the heat exchanger like you were pouring it out of a boot!

Check out my next thread for the next part of my pool startup adventures!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-hayward-pool-heater-advice-t20667.html

Thanks,
- Byron

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.