PH constantly rises

Apr 30, 2010
Last couple of years I have been fighting PH. It always goes up. I try to keep TA around 90, PH at 7.2. Within a week, PH is up to 7.8 and TA usually the same. If I add acid, PH goes down, TA goes down. If I add TA increaser, I can udually get the water back to balance, but then I'm back to adding acid and TA increaser over and over. This is getting expensive.

Just opened to the pool for the spring, PH is greater than 8.2, that's as high as my tester will go, and TA is 40. How is TA 40 from doing nothing tot he pool all winter?

So, I guess I'm confused. Is this all normal?

If no, how can I keep the PH from just going up all the time?

What casues PH to just go up?

Any help would be great. Thanks much all.

Welcome to TFP!

What you describe is common enough, but it doesn't need to be that way. To stop the constant PH increase, you should allow your TA level to come down to around 60. You should also consider adding borates to the water.

High PH and low TA in the spring is a sign that you might have had calcium scaling over the winter, though it could be something else.

Welcome Bob!

Yes, as Jason suggested, letting your TA come down will probably help. Many references will note that the TA of a pool is considered perfect when is falls between 80 and 120 ppm. This doesn't mean that this is the case for your pool. My pool, for example, is at it's best with the TA at 60 (as Jason suggested you try). When my TA is at 80, I add considerably more acid to maintain the pH than I do at 60.

Adding borates is another thing that you can try if lowering the TA isn't accomplishing what you want to do. Try getting the TA down first and see where that gets you though.

Thanks much for the welcomes. Funny, I had to go to the pool store to get some stuff. I had a gift cirtificait. I asked the guy this question. he told me it's probably my fill water. I then told the guy I didn't use any fill water. He looked at me baffled, then asked to asked to bring in a sample and a sample of my fill water. Why do I torture myself?

Thanks for the resonses. I'm cleaning up the water right now and letting it circulate. I had not done that yet. I'll check PH and Alkalinity again. I did not try letting TA go down below 80. I'll definately try that. I'll also add my specs, after I let my son have the computer.

What are borates?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.