Waaay NW MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Inspired by the other post with IG pools, which naturally would last so much longer. There are plenty of us with AG pools and some of us have had them for years, but perhaps like me, you are on your second or third due to going larger in size. I'd really be interested in knowing who has the oldest/longest lasting above ground or on ground pool. Our current pool is only 5 years old and was an upgrade in size so our 4th AG pool. We hope to have this one for many years as we really love it and wish we could have started with this one. Anyone like to share their old AG pool info? Thanks

Actually it was AtomicDog but yours IS an oldie - wow - 23. Great news that someone can get an AG pool to last that long. Hope you have many more years.

joykens said:
Mine is not as old as Poolgirls's, but it is also a doughboy, and is about 16 years old. We just replaced the original liner last year.
I'm on MY second liner, third year, so I have no idea about that prior to us. I think I will get longer use out of this one because, well, I have a clue now.

Well this is nice to know. As I mentioned, we are only on year 5 of this pool and had several other pools before this one - never changing because the pool "died" but because we always upsized. We hope this will be our last for a very long time as we sure have been loving it for these last 5 years. We even intend to move it with us when we "transfer" to our other farm home after my inlaws pass away (many years away we hope) -

Mine is on it's 14th year, with (believe it or not) the original liner. I wouldn't say it looks super good anymore, but I've never had a leak, & it's still holding water. The original pump died 2 years ago, & the bulb in my Aqualuminator pool light died last year. Other than that, no other major troubles, knock on wood.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know for sure but just bought a doughboy think might be 1975? Not my house haven't put it up yet. Anyone have a year guess?

29112277.jpg

29112219.jpg

Just noticed this thread, and yes, mine is 28 years old. That's both pool and liner! Both are still in pretty good shape although I know that can't last forever. I've only owned this house for 2-1/2 years, and the pool gets pretty gentle use although since I have to battle mustard algae from time-to-time, it gets pretty good doses of chlorine.

I have really nice wedding cake steps that I didn't put in this year as it's harder to keep the algae away with them, so I'm just using a ladder now.

I'll be looking into replacements someday soon, so if anybody has any helpful suggestions, I'd apprectiate them!

Sue

IMGP8453.jpg

I'm very disappointed that going into my 3rd year...I have a hole. I think it is a drainage problem. My question is where is the best place to get a replacement liner. Don't want to pay pool store prices....would someone check out Nationalpoolwarehouse.com and tell me what you think. Is a 20mil liner ok.What I have now is 25mil.Sorry to hi-jack your post but I'm kinda in a panic.

Thanks

My parent's Doughboy is over 30 years old, but pictures on ours under construction has encouraged them to visit the dealer to look at replacing it. They have the coolest AGP install I have ever seem. They live on a lake, and the pool is placed directly behind a retaining wall, with a deck the runs to the top of the wall. At the edge of the deck on the lake side, they have railings with glass panels in it, so there is an unobstructed view of the lake while swimming in the pool. Almost a poor man's infinity pool. They have had to replace the liner a few times over the years, usually the result of floods causing lake water to get over the retaining wall. Below are some pictures, and you can see the lake behind it in one of them.
[attachment=0:30web8by]FL000025.jpg[/attachment:30web8by]
[attachment=1:30web8by]DSCF0005.JPG[/attachment:30web8by]
[attachment=2:30web8by]DSC00742.JPG[/attachment:30web8by]

Attachments

• DSC00742.JPG
    DSC00742.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 326
  • FL000025.jpg
    FL000025.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 325
Wow, am impressed with some of the ages of the AGPs here. And I thought mine was old! Mine is a Muskin steel wall that was installed in 1982, gulp, which makes it 28 years old! I can't believe it! I'm on my 3rd overlap liner. Each liner has lasted 10 years. My first liner was self-installed (yup, we did the dig and set up the pool as well with shovels!!! Had no idea then how to hire a dig machine or what, small caterpillar??) but we left wrinkles in the bottom of the liner which sure made it hard to vaccum. Still, that original liner went 10 years.) The second & current ones were professionally installed and they did a fab job, smooth bottom and all. Incidentally we were told that you couldn't bury the pool but we went ahead and did it anyway, 2 feet deep because the yard slopes down at a bit of an angle. So one end is in 2 feet and the other end it is about 1 foot. I have only had to replace a few top rails over the years due to rust. But diligent upkeep has kept most of them in excellent like-new condition - painting with rustoleum every season etc. So no buckling, no rust through the steel walls, the pool store told me I sure got my money's worth out of this pool.

Titus said:
My parent's Doughboy is over 30 years old, but pictures on ours under construction has encouraged them to visit the dealer to look at replacing it. They have the coolest AGP install I have ever seem. They live on a lake, and the pool is placed directly behind a retaining wall, with a deck the runs to the top of the wall. At the edge of the deck on the lake side, they have railings with glass panels in it, so there is an unobstructed view of the lake while swimming in the pool. Almost a poor man's infinity pool. They have had to replace the liner a few times over the years, usually the result of floods causing lake water to get over the retaining wall. Below are some pictures, and you can see the lake behind it in one of them.
[attachment=0:2y3tsaxd]FL000025.jpg[/attachment:2y3tsaxd]
[attachment=1:2y3tsaxd]DSCF0005.JPG[/attachment:2y3tsaxd]
[attachment=2:2y3tsaxd]DSC00742.JPG[/attachment:2y3tsaxd]
BTW, this is a gorgeous AGP!!!! Terrific set up and can't believe it's 30 years old.

I agree!
And considering we just redid our deck and had to follow the jacked up pattern that was originally done...I LOVE the way the deck follows the lines of the oval pool. We wanted to do ours that way but it would have been a complete new frame. Not happening. Beautiful set up.

catchyoulater said:
BTW, this is a gorgeous AGP!!!! Terrific set up and can't believe it's 30 years old.
poolgirl22 said:
I agree!
And considering we just redid our deck and had to follow the jacked up pattern that was originally done...I LOVE the way the deck follows the lines of the oval pool. We wanted to do ours that way but it would have been a complete new frame. Not happening. Beautiful set up.
Thanks... I will pass along your kind words to the folks. The trex deck was done by my cousin and his crew about 8 years ago. He is now a contractor building high-end custom homes in Northern California. I am hoping to talk him in to designing my AGP deck for me. The old deck had a texture painted marine plywood surface and was pretty nasty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.