Blasting sand for pool filter?

Apr 29, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I needed to replace the sand in my filter so I went to a local pool supply store and bought 6 50lbs. bags of sand. I replaced the sand, back washed before running the pump/filter. I noticed a layer of fine sand on the bottom of the pool. I looked on one of the bags of sand I bought and no where on the bag does it say for use in swimming pool filters. In fact it say "When included in material grade number means ARB Certified for permissible Dry Outdoor Blasting". The first line on the back of the bag "Blasting sand contains fine silica dust".
I thought I was buying pool filter sand. The "fine silica dust" explains why I have sand in my pool. Why would they sell me this sand?

Welcome to TFP.

Pool sand is typical #20 silica sand, with particle sizes .5+/-.05mm. I'd expect blasting sand would have the same characteristics rough edged characteristics as pool sand if it meets the numbers above. The warning about the silica dust is a health warning, and all silica sand is going to contain some silica dust.

Blasting sand is way too course to use as filter sand. It's not graded to the same spec as filter sand. It also has resins added to it to reduce the dusting created when blasting. A lot of them also have heavy metals in them. I looked up several msds's for blasting sand and it's surprising what many of them contain.

I'd grab one of the empty bags and my reciept and go back to that store and have them replace all the sand with filter sand.

Thanks for the replies, they are greatly appreciated!
I am going to go back to the pool store and complain about the sand they sold me.
Before replacing the sand, my pool water was clear. I just had a layer of sand at the bottom. After replacing the sand with the sand from the pool supply store, the water has a green hue to it. I've shocked it twice and it isn't much better. When I've shocked it before, the water clears up in just a few hours or over night. The only thing different is the sand.

I'd make THEM come out, change the sand, AND clean your pool for selling you something that could be unacceptable for use in your filter and telling you it's OK.

BTW, what form of chlorine are you using to shock your pool?

Re: Blasting sand for pool filter? + resolved

I went to the pool supply store today and I am pleased they replaced the sand with actual filter sand. When I explained my pool has a greenish hue to it he also gave me clearifier and shock and explained what steps to take to get the water clear again.
He said he had been selling that sand for almost 20 yrs. without issue.
B & L Pools is a very reputable business and very courteous to their customers. I will without hesitation buy from them again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.