Liner and coping replacement on an out of level pool

rnp

Apr 29, 2010
Great info and site.

I plan on replacing a vinyl liner in-ground (16x32) as well as the vinyl coping which is cracked in many places. My pool is slightly out of level so I am planning to shim the new coping on the low to even things out a bit. My question is should I replace the coping prior to measuring for the new liner as the bead track will be at a slightly different height?

Also I have a problem with skimmer as the wall is rusted around the skimmer to the point where I can't get all the faceplate screws out. From what I understand there is mounting hardware on skimmer which the screws go into but they are turning with the screws. How do I go about getting these screws out and how do I repair this so that the new liner doesn't leak?

Looking forward to hearing back on this.

You can redo the coping whenever you want, you know how much you're gonna shim it up, just take that amount into account.

When you measure the depths for the new liner, go with the shallowest point - the liner will stretch in to the deeper areas, if you have it made too deep, you'll end up with wrinkles :( (if you need a primer on how to measure for a replacement liner, I'll type one up :cool: )

I don't know who made your skimmer, but... if you can get the screws out (with a screw extractor, etc.) You may be able to get replacement screw receivers (I can't remember ever seeing them on a skimmer, but Hayward SuperPumps have them for the motor mounting bolts)

You may have to replace thee skimmer :rant: - but it's not a majorly hard job :wink: If it comes to that, and the panel is so rusted that you can't just throw a new one into the existing cutout - you can slap a steel patch over the old cutout and make a new one to accept the new skimmer (you'd need a grinder or reciprocating saw to cut in the new hole and, again, I can give you a basic 'How To' on doing it - we do ~ a dozen of these each year :| )

If you get that far into this, you might want to consider revamping the entire suction/ return setup of your pool to optimize the flow, but that becomes a much larger job, like not a 1 weekend deal :)

As a last note, perhaps a couple of pictures would spark something for myself or one of the other members and let us suggest a better/ easier way of doing this :goodjob:

I'll stick with you and provide all the help/ info I can so that you will be swimming ASAP :cheers:

Yes please on the primer on how to measure for a replacement liner. At this point every tip helps.

I believe the skimmer is a Jacuzzi (PMT series?) http://www.jbparts.com/jbe0031.html appears to be a parts list and I think its the brass inserts that must be turning with the screws. I'm just not sure how I would even replace these...I guess by cutting out the rusted steel?

You may have to replace thee skimmer :rant: - but it's not a majorly hard job :wink: If it comes to that, and the panel is so rusted that you can't just throw a new one into the existing cutout - you can slap a steel patch over the old cutout and make a new one to accept the new skimmer (you'd need a grinder or reciprocating saw to cut in the new hole and, again, I can give you a basic 'How To' on doing it - we do ~ a dozen of these each year :| )

There is quite a bit of rust so I am thinking a patch would have to be installed....would it be favorable to install a new skimmer if that is the case? Pretty sure the skimmer is original (25? years) but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it.

I will try to get a couple of pictures posted tomorrow to give you a better idea of things.

Thanks again for all your help.

Here is a pic of the skimmer (rust and screws). The bottom screw is for faceplate while the top screw holds the skimmer to the rusted steel wall.

Attachments

• _skimmer.jpg
    _skimmer.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 197
I have taken some measurements and it seems to be a consistent 1.5 inches out of level on one of the long sides. What exactly should I use to shim this side up? I am thinking of perhaps a rectangular tubing (steel or aluminum?) 1.5 x 4 x .125 (wall thickness) and attaching this to the top of the steel pool wall. The extruded aluminum coping would then get screwed to this shim? Any opinions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.