Give me opinions on LG Refridgerators

cobra46

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2007
Rocklin, Ca
Ok, we recently hashed out dishwashers now it's time to move on.

A few months ago my 1994 refridgerator started to make a strange noise when the motor would turn off. A few days ago we noticed that the freezer is starting to warm up in spite of a reduction in the temperature setting.

We went out to look at new ones and found an LG model that we like. Can anyone offer any opinions on LG refridgerators?

Thanks,

Kevin

LG used to be Gold Star. Low price stuff from Korea. I had a Gold Star microwave, about as minimalist as one can get - no light, manual dial timer, I'm talking basic. I used it for 20 years. I only got rid of it when we moved, as there's a built-in microwave in the kitchen.

About your current refrigerator - does it run for loooong periods and yet you end up with softee ice cream? Is it loud? I had that problem with a refrigerator, it was just the condensor fan. I cleaned out all the dust and it worked for a few weeks then started balking again. So I went to an appliance parts place and bought a new condensor fan for about $25. Took maybe 20 minutes to install. Problem solved.

double edge opinon....love the recent designs, we re-did the kitchen 3 yrs ago bottom freezer double door type stainless...sorry not sure of model #, functions very well. The only MAJOR flaw....about a yr ago...the darn thing nearly caught fire!!!! :grrrr: the lights (two 60 watt bulbs :scratch: ) decided to stay on one night, even though the doors were fully closed. Melted to bulb assembly. Thankfully it was a fri night and I was up late to catch the smell...otherwise god know what we would have experienced by morning.

If you google...LG refrig and fire....you'll see the complaints....now to LG's customer service...so/so....when I called they said out of warranty, but when I mentioned fire...they said "oh, well send someone out for you"....although no recall had been issued, they obviously had a silent recall policy. They ended up changing a circuit board and the bulb assembly, which apparently has some known issues....has been good ever since, but I can't say I have a warm fuzzy feeling about it now.

The sad part...the tech commented..."oh you should have let it melt just a bit more...you would have gotten a new fridge"...yeah and let my sleeping family die from a fire :hammer:

Anyway...I hope I didn't turn you off to LG...hopefully my experience was a fluke, as I really like the dishwaser/microwave and oven....but boy...it still makes me wonder

My suggestion is not so much on the brand as the type. We've owned about every type you can imagine and the type we have now is the best. I absolutely hate side-by-sides. Top freezers are not too bad but not really good either. To be honest the best arrangement is a separate freezer and fridge but in a combination the bottom freezer is the best. We have a Samsung and it's great. I'm not touting the brand because I believe almost any brand is good or bad but the double door fridge and bottom freezer is the best. One thing I'd change on ours is the auto slide drawer in the freezer. While that sounds like a good thing it's actually a draw back. I'd rather have one that you manually slide.

I have a friend with a bottom drawer freezer, and she hates it - the kids lean on the drawer when its out. Because of the drawer style you have to dig around and pull stuff out to find things underneath... she regrets the purchase.

I have a French door fridge. with freezer on the bottom. Kenmore Elite, the freezer door pulls out or tilts to get ice or items from the shelf on the door. I went with water only on the door, this gives a little more room in the fridge. You can not shut the fridge doors at the same time (together), one a little ahead of the other works. Being able to put platters sheet cakes in the fridge is great.

We have a 3 year old LG unit we got as a closeout at HH Gregg and it's been fantastic. We only paid about $700 for a unit with ice and water in the door. It gets cold fast and stays that way and we noticed our electric bill went down about $20/month over our old refrigerator.

My friend just bought the bottom double drawer freezer fridge from LG. I'm not super impressed with the drawers but the fridge part was huge an awesome. Big problem for her is the kids are little and they can and do open the freezer drawers and leave them open without her knowing as there is no alarm.

I have an LG, double door, bottom freezer. I love it. Freezer has one shelf and the "bin" area, sure, its a little bit of a pain to get stuff on the bottom, but so is my large chest freezer.

The alarm dings when either the door, or the freezer is left open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Molson said:
I have an LG, double door, bottom freezer. I love it. Freezer has one shelf and the "bin" area, sure, its a little bit of a pain to get stuff on the bottom, but so is my large chest freezer.

The alarm dings when either the door, or the freezer is left open.

yup alarm here too...annoying, but helpful

frustratedpoolmom said:
Maybe the alarm would be good for me, a reminder "don't eat that...." LOL

I need one that emits pig sounds every time I open it.

Thanks for all the replies.

We are considering a model that has french doors and a two drawer bottom freezer. I like the two drawer idea because it minimizes the digging for what you're looking for problem.

Well thats a bummer hers doesn't have an alarm that was her biggest complaint about the entire thing, it alarms with the fridge or the water but not the drawers...hmm. Well I guess just be mindful of the model I guess because she says other than that she loves hers. Although in my opinion the price was steep for a fridge.

We just replaced our old one with a Kenmore side by side which I love. Sorry for those who don't like SbS but I'm in love with mine. We have a large upright freezer in the basement so don't need the big freezer unit in the kitchen on our fridge. I like what I have so much - water/ice in door, smooth front - easy to clean, huge storage in doors for 6 gals of milk at a time (we go through 9 gals a week) slide out shelves so easy to get things and clean, adjustable temp/humidity veg and meat drawers, light on EVERY level so no dark spots. Love mine, wouldn't trade it for a more expensive LG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.