I am new to this site and have been reading up on info from older posts and the pool school. My problem started last summer when I didn't do a very good job of taking care of the pool. We developed water mold in our chlorine pool. From what I have read, it was definitely water mold as it looked like toilet paper when I would brush it off the side of the pool. I also definitely have a chlorine pool.
I spent a lot of time and money taking everything out of the pool, brushing the walls, using a tooth brush in every corner, etc. I was told at the pool store that chlorine would not kill it if it was on the side of the pool. It had to be brushed off? They had me shocking it with 3-8 pounds each time for what eventually became 2 or 3 weeks. I thought we turned the corner with it in late July, however towards the end of the season it came back with a vengeance. With work and all the leaves that were falling, I couldn't get it lined out. So, we just closed the pool and decided we would tackle it again this year.
In reading up on this site, I am pretty sure they had me shock using dichlor which probably raised my CYA and eventually all the chlorine I was putting in there wasn't doing anything? I have no idea what my levels were last year, but I know I don't want to go back through the pool store for help. They weren't very helpful and just seemed to be guessing on what to do.
In the next week or so, we will open the pool for the season. I purchased the TF-100 test kit this past weekend and I tested the water for CYA today to see what the level was. I didn't get a reading (I could see the dot all the way to the top). From reading the FAQ: Spring Startup Problems, if my CYA is really all gone, I can plan on consuming a lot of bleach or I can try draining the pool. Are these my two options? Anything else I should be doing before we open the pool? Other ideas or thoughts?