Suggestion: Tapatalk

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
Hi there!

Just a suggestion to add Tapatalk to this forum. It lets iphone and android phone users use the forum much easier. (Blackberry and Nokia are in Beta right now.)

The price for you to add it would be nothing.

I just added it to my forum, they say it takes ten minutes, but it literally took me 2 minutes. Put one new directory and some files in the forum's root directory, add one line to overall_footer.html, clear the cache in the ACP, register, confirm, you're done.

It doesn't touch any forum settings, at all.

It makes the users life WAY easier when reading the forums from a mobile. Here's a couple of pics I snapped of Tapatalk from my phone.

Thanks for looking!

tapatalk.jpg

screenshot.jpg

I'm a Blackberry addict and would love to be able to see my TFP forum easily. If it's free and doesn't add any spam or anything, why not.

JasonLion said:
I must say that writing a request that reads like a paid advertisement doesn't encourage me at all.

Jason and others,

Please accept my apologies if my suggestion sounded like an andvertisement. I do not have anything to do with tapatalk, apple, blackberry, nokia, verizon, or motorola. Except maybe that I have given the last two companies an insane amount of money in my lifetime.

I've been accused of working for troublefreepool.com when talking about it in other places, and you know that's not true. I just sometimes get over-excited about stuff I really like.

This is the second time I've been on my desktop computer since I got my Droid last week. It seems I've all but abandoned my computer for this tiny little screen I hold in my hand.

I guess the suggestion to add tapatalk here was more of a selfish one, as the other two forums I frequent, one for tractors and one for my car already had it installed. Then I installed it on the board I run, but never post on... (I do that as a favor) Anyway, it was more of a thought in my head like, "Boy, if TFP was on tapatalk, my life would be complete and I'd have all of my forums in one nice little app!" type of thought.

Full Disclaimer: While I have absolutely no connections with any of the above companies, please note that if any of them were to offer me a really nice pool, I'd sell-out in a heart beat.

Thank you.

Kias,

I was on your wavelength. I interpreted it as a very enthusiastic end-user.

Personally, I am pretty well convinced that anything smaller than a desktop is very probably the work of the devil......put on this earth to make sure my later years are filled with........
"How do you make it do that?"
"Why would you ever want it to do that?"
(to my teenagers...) "Will one of you come in here and fix this **** thing?"

Nevertheless, I felt your enthusiasm but have no intention of sharing it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish I could stop using all this technology! But, alas, I can't. If anything goes wrong in this house, from the toaster all the way to these new droids we just got, somehow it's my fault that it's broken, and I better be able to fix them! For instance, with these new phones, my wife watched me pull them out of the box, put the batteries in, did the little activation call you need to do, and then I handed her phone to her. Then she started, "How do you this?" I don't know. "Well how do you do that?" I don't know. "How do you...?" I DON'T KNOW! I JUST turned my phone on like you did! Sheesh!

If it has anything to do with electricity or electronics, I'm just suppose to know how it works I guess... So while she's off playing with games, and doing cool stuff on the phone, I'm off trying to figure out how to get 'em hooked up to our exchange server, and our wifi, and bluetoothin' to our car, mp3 transfers, etc... It was a full 3 days before I even made a phone call on it, and then it took me a minute to figure out how to do that! In addition to everything else this droid does, it appears it can also makes phone calls!

How sweet is that!?

Butterfly said:
Rob, you sounded so excited about it I thought maybe it would also make Kings Hawaiian Sweet Bread! :mrgreen:

Ya know... Right next to the memory card slot, there is what appears to be another memory card slot... Maybe that is actually where the oven/dishwasher/refrigerator is!!!! Oooohhhh, that'd be awesome!! :whoot:

Alright, TapaTalk support is installed!

See TapaTalk Clients for information on getting a native app for your device. They currently support iPhone, Android, Blackberry, and Nokia.

Note that TapaTalk is a commercial product unrelated to TFP. TFP does not endorse or recommend it at this time. The current support is experimental, and may be removed. If people like it I will keep it around, if there are problems or no one ends up using it, it will go away.

Please share your experiences if you do try it out.

FYI, from the Tapatalk site:

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone / Android and soon to be on Blackberry and Nokia. Tapatalk supports vBulletin (3.x and 4.x) and phpBB forums and forum owner can activate this service for free. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps.

Tapatalk for iPhone:
Showing New and Unread Posts:
IMG_0036.png

Full Thread Viewing and Pagination Support:
IMG_0037.png

See Who's Online:
IMG_0038.png

Reply to Post and Image Upload:
IMG_0041.png

Some of the large forums activated Tapatalk support
IMG_0042.png

Tapatalk for Android

Total Android Look and Feel
main.png

Same feature set as iPhone:
threadmenu.png

Quickly Reply to a conversation:
thread_bottom_menu.png

Latest and Unread Posts indicator and multi-tabs support:

latest-v.png

Full screen image support - support landscape mode also
imageview.png

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

Ok, since I spearheaded this whole rigamarole, I guess I could give a little review of tapatalk.

This will be the Android version of tapatalk, as seen on a Motorola Droid, the original. I'm sure other phones are similar in nature. There is a demo version, however you can not post messages with the demo version. The "Pro" version is $2.99. A small price if you're a forum junky.

1.jpg

Tapatalk now has widgets you can put on
your home screen as you see here at the
top. With the last update to tapatalk I
have lost the TFP logo that used to be
there. Now it's defaulting to the tapatalk
icon. I haven't researched this yet, so I
can't say what happened.

Also, if you own a droid and are wondering
why this screen looks different, it's because
it is different. (Warning! Completely unrelated
geek talk ahead!) I'm rooted, and have been
running Android 2.2 (Froyo) with the Sapphire
Mod overclocked to 1ghz, along with ADW
Launcher for a month or two now. Stable
as all get out!

So if you tap on the widget, it'll bring you here.
2.jpg

These are the latest unread topics for you to scroll
through. Tapping on one will take you to the thread.
Tapping on a users avatar almost anywhere in this
program will take you to their profile. I forgot to
grab a shot of that screen, but there's not a whole
lot in there. You can view their posts or topics, send
a private message, see their post count, and when
they joined.

Clicking on the "All" tab brings you here.
3.jpg

Same deal, only it's all the latest topics. The orange
bar on the left of the topic shows there are new
messages. If there's no bar, you've already read all
messages.

The Participated tab is new with the latest version.
It doesn't work on this forum, or the forum I run, or
any other forum I use this with. I think there might
be an upgrade on the server side, but I haven't
looked into it yet.

Tapping the Forums button on the top will get you here.
4.jpg

Listed by category, you can drill down to the forum you
wish to look at.

Tapping the "By Name" tab brings you here.
5.jpg

This is simply an alphabetized listing of all the forums.

The PM Button brings you to your private messages.
6.jpg

This has no frills, just send and receive messages.

The More button? Right here.
7.jpg

Nothing exciting going on in here.

Reading an actual thread looks like this.
9.jpg

Sometimes the pictures show up, sometimes they don't.
I think if the picture is located somewhere else, it shows
up, if it's actually uploaded as an attachment, it doesn't
show up. Again, I haven't looked into this problem much.

You can tap on a picture, and it'll bring this screen up.
10.jpg

If there's multiple pictures in the message, you can scroll
through them on the bottom.

The settings menu looks like this.
8.jpg

You can set a custom signature. The only problem here
is you can't set a separate signature for different forums.
It's the same for every one of them! I think they're
working on this though.

Posts per page, I maxed it out, of course.

Display style is light or dark, I usually have mine at dark,
but I lightened it up for this review.

Image quality, probably self explanatory.

Select default is which "Home page" you'd like to
start at when you first come into the app.

Overall, there's a lot that could be improved. It doesn't show bbcode formatting or the smiley's... You can manually type in a bbcode, or smiley code, and it'll show up on the web just fine though. On rare occasions it does seem to lock up while grabbing data from the server. I'm not sure if it's the program, or something my phone is doing in the background. If you wait long enough, it comes back to life. I've never had it force close on me though. Will it ever be on par with the web version? Never. But for keeping up on forums on your mobile phone, I don't think it can be beat.

On my phone, it's a lot easier to navigate around
the forum with this
4.jpg

...then it is to navigate on my phone with this
11.jpg

Plus, we won't even mention the Trouble Free Poo.

Thanks again Jason, for putting this on your board!

:goodjob:

I see this as becoming a problem, since I hate going on my iPhone to check web pages that are too small. That has kept me from using anything but the desktop, but I will be getting the app now so I can get my TFP fix on the road :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.