Bleed Through

rcg74

Apr 29, 2010
I have a 18ft round above ground pool. This will be our 3rd summer. We live just outside of New Orleans in Laplace. Had not had any problems with water clarification,use pristine blue. Had a rainy late summer and hot and humid not too unusal fot deep south.Chemicals were fine, called where I get my water tested, and was told to try putting chlorine in a sock and pass it along bottom where the stains were to try to remove. NO LUCK. Called Clearwater where I purchased pool and explained problem. Thats when I was told about the Bleed Through. I was told to get a fungiside with ( copperous iron sulfate ) to pour around the perimeter of pool, this would be carried under the liner and kill the fungus. It was late in the year and fall was starting, went thru winter hoping the cold would kill the fungus. Stain got lighter, but now it is beginning to grow again. I went and priced this fungicide and for 50lbs it is 150.00. I will spend the cash but don't want waist money if this treatment will not clear the stains up. I then read on another site, that pouring bleach around the perimeter and let it soak under this would clear up problem. Not sure which way to turn. I have about a 9 in perimeter of white rocks around the pool.
If anyone has had this problem, I would welcome any suggestions as how to get this cleared up. The water is fine for swimming but it just takes away from the beauty of the pool.
Thanks for your support

Ronnie

Welcome to TFP!

Dealing with fungus on the outside of the liner is challenging. If it goes down deep enough, it might be impossible without taking the liner out completely. There are various chemicals you can use that will kill fungus, but there are two problems. One is how to deliver them to the right place in the right concentrations. The other depends on your soil conditions. In wet relatively porous soil, anything you use will wash away eventually and the fungus will start growing again.

Copper iron sulfate is the traditional treatment when you don't want to remove the liner. It will often work, at least for a couple of years. The only treatments that are sure to work require removing the liner and aggressively treating all of the soil around and underneath the pool.

Can you post some pictures? The stains may be a combination of fungus beneath the liner and metal stains (since you use Pristine Blue). Others can explain that better, but the short version is that PB and all other metal-based "sanitizers" do not adequately sanitize your pool, commonly result in staining, and are a large unnecessary expense.

We can help you address the stains, whatever they are.

I will tell you, I believe that your issues are related entirely to the use of Pristine Blue. Your story struck a cord with me.

Here is one of my posts from when I first came to TFP. I used a mineral ionizer at the time - an "Alternative Sanitizer" system with very low chlorine levels .5-1 was the "recommendation" from the manufacturer.

I had stains in my pool, and was told the same thing as you. I was told it's either a fungus under the liner or it's Black Algae. Both were false. You can see these stains as they were starting to fade after a couple of weeks in the pic in the post.

2 months after switching to BBB, my stains vanished and they have never returned.

Now my pool looks like this, no stains at all:
poolandbaseball008.jpg

Read more about Alternative Sanitizers here.

rcg74 said:
That looks just like the my problem. Although this is something under the liner, as it looks in your photo, Where can I purchase this chemical to clear it up???

There was nothing under my liner. I just mainainted the proper FC to CYA ratio (for a change) and it faded away on it's own. That's what I was trying to explain.

My recommendation is to switch from Pristine Blue to BBB.

Now I can't say with 100% certainty that our situations our identical, but that's my assumption and I think its worth a shot.

Besides, Pristine Blue is so expensive, wouldn't you like to save yourself some money? :)

rcg74, you say you have been using pristine blue for three seasons, It would therefore be a really really good idea to test the copper level in your pool.

Having recently had to explain the pristine blue system to a customer and why it would be a good idea to ditch it in favour of chlorine I suggest you consider doing the same.
Pristine blue=copper sulphate algeacide
Pristine power=potassium monopersulfate
Pristine clean=orthophosphoric Acid
Pristine extra=sodium dichlor, oops that's Chlorine and its supposed to be a non chlorine system.
Pristine clear=alum or pac flocculent.

As with so much information regarding Non chlorine products the owners of Pristine blue are not telling the whole truth.
They state "approved by the US EPA" (environmental protection agency)
This is not true for swimming pools, although copper is a registered pesticide it would not pass the tests for swimming pool sanitising and is NOT a certified swimming pool disinfectant.
Likewise the health and safety executive have not approved it either as they use the data from the Pool water treatment advisory group (PWTAG)

There are only 3 EPA approved disinfectants: chlorine, bromine and biguanide.
In Australia the government have made it illegal for any company to import or sell any copper or copper/silver/zinc additive that does not use chlorine at a low level as when they were put through testing a copper and monopersulfate combination failed to kill bateria and pathogens faster than they could multiply hence the possibility of fecal to oral transmission of infection.
http://www.pwtag.org/home.html

http://www.healthhype.com/stool-to-mouth-or-fecal-oral-route-of-transmission-of-infection.html

http://services.apvma.gov.au/permits/response.jsp

You searched for permits using the following criteria.

Product Name contains "PRISTINE BLUE"

No permits were found.

frustratedpoolmom said:
I will tell you, I believe that your issues are related entirely to the use of Pristine Blue. Your story struck a cord with me.

Here is one of my posts from when I first came to TFP. I used a mineral ionizer at the time - an "Alternative Sanitizer" system with very low chlorine levels .5-1 was the "recommendation" from the manufacturer.

I had stains in my pool, and was told the same thing as you. I was told it's either a fungus under the liner or it's Black Algae. Both were false. You can see these stains as they were starting to fade after a couple of weeks in the pic in the post.

2 months after switching to BBB, my stains vanished and they have never returned.

Now my pool looks like this, no stains at all:
poolandbaseball008.jpg

Read more about Alternative Sanitizers here.

I tell you what..you really know your pool water. I decided to switch from pristine blue back to chlorine. Had to add 12 lbs of alkaline plus also 4 lbs of stabilizer. Then a quick shock. Now floating two 3 in tablets in the pool. It has only been 5 days an the stains are all but gone. I can hardly see any spots where they were present. I had originally put the chlorine tablets in the skimmer basket, but in 3 days they were gone. I went out and bought a HTH tablet floater. I will have to figure out how much to open, but it should last longer than 3 days. At 26.00 for 12 tablets that could get expensive. Thanks again for your advise. Pool now looks great.

Ronnie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.