Baseline DE filter pressure seems high

bhodge

May 21, 2008
Tucson
I have an old Hayward 1.5HP Superpump, 2" plumbing, and a Hayward 4820 DE filter with a cartaker system with 1.5"? plumbing. My baseline pressure with clean filters and new DE is around 28 psi. This seems awful high compared to most recommendations on this fantastic forum. Does this pressure seem right?

Pressure gauges that come with most filters are rather cheap items and can be prone to failure. If they are suspect, they are very simple to replace.

When your pump is turned off, does the needle go to zero?

bhodge said:
Very good point, it does not go to zero. Are they just standard pressure gauges you can get at like an autoparts store?

I get mine at a farm store. You can get a larger gauge that's easier to see, but make sure you get no more than a 0-60psi gauge so that pressure changes are more noticable.

Pool stores nearly always have pressure gauges, usually under $10. Home improvement stores around here don't carry them, but they do in many areas where pools are more common then they are around here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.