What type SWG should I install?

Apr 28, 2010
Help! What type SWG should I install?? Just bought a home in Scottsdale with 15K gallon pebble tec play pool. It has an old EcoMatic ESC24 installed that doesn't work. We have a Hayward sand filter and I don't know what kind of pump. Was planning to have Leslie's do the installation - hopefully can buy what type I want. Plan to buy the recommended Leslie's test kit and get started with BBB. You guys are great!!! :goodjob:

Re: What salt chlorine generator do you have installed?

I can't say which SWCG you should get but if you're planning to get the test kit at a Leslies store be aware that a lot of the stores don't carry the one with the FAS-DPD chlorine test and some of them will try and sell you the one with just the DPD test telling you it's the same but it's not! Be sure to get the FAS-DPD chlorine test in whatever kit you decide on.

So you don't think the temperature contol of the Autopilots is needed in Arizona? Also, I read a recent TFP posting suggesting installing a SWG cell significantly larger than your pool size. Is the Swim Pure Plus 36 large enough for my 15K gallon pool?

Oh, I like AutoPilot better. I have an AutoPilot unit and I love it. I was just responding to your mention of Leslie's. Leslie's doesn't carry AutoPilot units, and having them install something you bought somewhere else can occasionally lead to problems.

With the SwimPure, I would go for the largest cell size, though the middle size will work fine on your pool. The smallest cell size would be marginal. In the AutoPilot line I would go for the middle size, the largest one would probably be too large for your pool.

Leslies does not stock AutoPilot and usually retails the Hayward system. However, they can order our systems. Commercially, they only sell AutoPilot salt systems.
As for Arizona conditions, Temperature Compensation will help alleviate the need for you to make manual adjustments for temperature changes. If you stay on top of your water balance, you can keep scaling cell conditions at bay. However, I would look at the pH Control system but not using the ORP and pH sensors. Just use the acid tank with the 75003 Digital unit. This will help prevent scale formation on the cell blades, especially with the constantly increasing calcium hardness levels.

Poolsean, thanks for your good info. I'm sorry I don't understand your comments on the ph control... is that a part of the autopilot system 75003? I'm also not sure what you mean about the ORP and ph sensors. Are these on the unit and you're saying just ignore them? :shock:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Total COntrol system typically comes as a compete system with Automation in mind. Using ORP and pH sensors, it is able to activate the cell and an acid pump whenever those levels sway from your desired set points.
You can also get this system a step down, without the automation. That is, without ORP and pH sensor and the Pool Chemistry Controller (#75001). However, the Digital control box for the Total Control family (#75003) is different from the normal Digital controler (#DIG-220) and are not interchangable.

You can maintain pH balance without the acid tank (#75005). I just know from experience that most homeowners have quite a time with water chemistry balance problems due to increasing Calcium hardness and pH, which result in scale formation. YES, you can keep the cell scale free without the acid tank/pump as long as you maintain your water balance.

Should you go the AutoPilot route, I suggest going with:
75003 - Digital control unit for use with Total Control
94107 or 94113, manifold assembly with SC-48 or SC-60 cell, respectively. Which cell to go with? Whichever you can afford, with the thought that the larger cell will last longer.
THEN, should you desire to upgrade to the acid tank/pump system, you can alway add on at a later time.

To be fair, I should note that Hayward also offers the ORP/pH automation with their system too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.