How many PB's should I get quotes from

Apr 28, 2010
I'm amazed at the info on this site and appreciate all the postings. This is my first post as I contemplate installing a gunite pool at a home in Fulshear TX outside Houston. Probably asking some basic "stupid" questions but figure it's easier to take the bashing and learn than learn after the fact (20x20 hindsight).
:hammer:
I've contacted a PB and shown him the yard and provided him a survey to get drawings, quote, etc...how many PB's should I get quotes from and should I share drawings/quote etc..from first PB? Any comments are appreciated as I do have 45 days or so to make some decisions, but family is pushing for pool to be in and ready for swim by Aug. 1st as we are moving from an area where the climate is not as sticky hot as SW TX.
:party:
Look forward to your comments and any suggestions you may have for quality PB's is the Fulshear area. :goodjob:

Re: Choose a builder, design, construct, and renovate

houstonbound said:
I'm amazed at the info on this site and appreciate all the postings. This is my first post as I contemplate installing a gunite pool at a home in Fulshear TX outside Houston. Probably asking some basic "stupid" questions but figure it's easier to take the bashing and learn than learn after the fact (20x20 hindsight).
:hammer:
I've contacted a PB and shown him the yard and provided him a survey to get drawings, quote, etc...how many PB's should I get quotes from and should I share drawings/quote etc..from first PB? Any comments are appreciated as I do have 45 days or so to make some decisions, but family is pushing for pool to be in and ready for swim by Aug. 1st as we are moving from an area where the climate is not as sticky hot as SW TX.
:party:
Look forward to your comments and any suggestions you may have for quality PB's is the Fulshear area. :goodjob:

Anytime I am making a big investment, I get at least 3 at the min. So I would say 3-6 would be a good amount. This gives you options to see where the prices land. If they are all in the same area, then that is a good thing. So then you have to pick one you really liked. One piece of advice is when I am doing a big project like this, the peole who have great communication are usually the better ones. This is not a fool proof plan, but has worked for me in the past.

We talked with four different PB's. All four had different design opinions, various opinions on equipment, decking, stone, tile, coping, etc. It was good to get a broad spectrum of input so we could make our decision. However it was difficult to compare prices as each design was so different.

Another way to do it would be to hire a landscape architect to design the pool and shop the design around.

Check out this thread for some good advice when you are shopping around.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-pool-if-you-had-to-do-it-over-again-t19695.html

Thanks for the advice....I have been looking through the "if you had to do it over again" thread; some great info. Seems that the only constraint will be the budget although from what I'm reading if you don't do it on initial build the cost down the road can be multiplied exponentially. Anyone have dealing pro/con with Katy, TX area PB's that they are willing to share?

There are several great builders and several klunkers in your area. There are a couple of active threads on the gardenweb's pool forum covering this location.

I have seen a lot of the work from Atlantis Pools and found Kelly to be as straight and as stand up as they come. He's been busier lately but pops in both here and there and goes by the handle, huskyridor.

Scott

houstonbound said:
...how many PB's should I get quotes from and should I share drawings/quote etc..from first PB? ...

I asked 6 to come out. Quickly eliminated 2. Worked with 4 on a common set of equipment, sq feet of deck and pool surface, etc.

I might let them know a competitor's pricing on say something like a VS-3050 pump (if they break it out), but I would NEVER allow one builder to see another bid/quote. I don't think it fair, or maybe even ethical. You should IMO let them know your thought processes and budget.

I've been negotiating to buy big things for my employer for a long time now and it does no one a favor to hide the requirements/desires you need/want satisfied. For example, tell them you require the build to not exceed $30K. But also tell them you prefer a larger pool with lower end equipment since you plan a later equipment upgrade; or a pool where you're willing to cut back size for quality upgrades; or something in between.

Ask about pre-planning cost/benefit: such as run pipe now for a future water feature - while the ground is tore up anyway and it's only a couple more bucks for the PVC; size the electric from service panel to pad to accommodate a future heat pump, etc. Maximizing the pool for your bucks now and maybe skimping on landscape lighting is easy if they pre-planned and ran conduit for the lighting wires - that sort of thing.

Great advice on pre-planning for the future; as you state if the power and/or gas is there you can always add the lights, fans, etc...at a later date. I'm more impressed with this site than I originally was due to the members. Thanks again....

We tried to get at least 6 however only 4 responded. We ended up with the middle of the road price because we seemed to just click and are very happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.