Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: tips on plugging a main drain

1. Back To Top    #1

tips on plugging a main drain

Can someone give me a tip on plugging up my main drain with out removing the cover? I dont have any valves that direct the suction from the maon drain or skimmer. I am trying to flush out my skimmer line.
    17k (430 Sq Ft) Salt Water In Ground Pool, 3.5'-7' depth, MDX2 Infloor system, Grotto/Tile Slide/Rock Waterfall Features, Wet-Edge Chilean Beach Tahoe Pebble surface, Intellichlor IC40, Easytouch Control w/remote, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo VS-3050 Variable Speed Pump, 2 x intellibrite LED Color Lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: tips on plugging a main drain

Gunite pool? The front hole of the skimmer should go to the main drain. Get the correct sized threaded plug and screw it in the front port of the skimmer. You'll have water between the main drain and that port, but it will be effectively plugged!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by simicrintz
    Gunite pool? The front hole of the skimmer should go to the main drain.
    This approach only works when the main drain is plumbed to the skimmer, which only happens some of the time.

A rubber mat over the drain, held down with some weights, can work if you can manage to get it to lie flat around the edges.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanx jason
    17k (430 Sq Ft) Salt Water In Ground Pool, 3.5'-7' depth, MDX2 Infloor system, Grotto/Tile Slide/Rock Waterfall Features, Wet-Edge Chilean Beach Tahoe Pebble surface, Intellichlor IC40, Easytouch Control w/remote, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Intelliflo VS-3050 Variable Speed Pump, 2 x intellibrite LED Color Lights