Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get it any cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get it any cleaner

Hi all. Normal story I guess. New pool owner bad previous owner. It was a swamp. I have been reading for a while and read thru pool school and got things much better but now I have hit a wall and can not get it any better. I know we like details and pictures so here goes.

16x32 in ground goes from 3 feet to 8 feet figuring about 24,000 gal
    Vinyl liner just replaced.
    new Hayward S244T sand filter and new sand
    Hayward 1HP pump
    Testing with LaMotte ColorQ 7 Pro
    Using TriChlor for now
    AquaBot to clean the bottom/walls

Started with:

FCL 0
    TCL 0
    PH 7.3
    ALY 110
    CH 116
    CYA 0 Hence the TriChlor

Now have:
    FCL 7.86
    TCL 8.43
    PH 7.1 Down due to Chlorine right?
    ALK 75 No idea where this went
    CH 107 Within +/- for the tester
    CYA 23 Getting there

Cleaned all the junk out of the pool and have been keeping the chlorine above the yellow mustard algae level for about a week and shocking trying to get combined chlorine down. The fact that it stays up around .6 or so tells me that there is still organics in the water. But I would think that a week of filtering 24/7 at 7.5-8.0 FCL and daily manual and auto cleaning would have killed that by now no? So right now the pool is shocked to 10+ (max of tester) and the bot is running but the water is getting no clearer. What do I do. It's a blue gray color in the shallow end and I can see the bottom. The deep end is more of a green color and can only see down a few feet.

[attachment=0:2awb86ld]whole thing.JPG[/attachment:2awb86ld]

The entire pool

[attachment=1:2awb86ld]deep end.JPG[/attachment:2awb86ld]

The deep end

[attachment=2:2awb86ld]shallow end.JPG[/attachment:2awb86ld]

The shallow end off to the right (dark spot) is the shadow of the wall.

I also owe you guys a few more pictures to explain the rock pile in the background.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get it any cleaner

The rocks are there because I was looking for water:

[attachment=2:2b38tzch]breaking.JPG[/attachment:2b38tzch]

[attachment=1:2b38tzch]breaking2.JPG[/attachment:2b38tzch]

[attachment=0:2b38tzch]broken pipe.JPG[/attachment:2b38tzch]

Ah That's where it must be. Both returns were split open where they connect to the pool.

3. Back To Top    #3

Pipe is fixed:

[attachment=2:av6vxiv8]fixed pipe.JPG[/attachment:av6vxiv8]

So the swamp

[attachment=1:av6vxiv8]The swamp.JPG[/attachment:av6vxiv8]

Can start to be cleaned

[attachment=0:av6vxiv8]Cleaning.JPG[/attachment:av6vxiv8]

There were a LOT of leaves.

4. Back To Top    #4

The trichlor is acidic, which is the most likely reason that your pH and TA (i.e. ALK) have dropped. It's also a relatively slow way to add CYA, but also clearly it has done that job as well.

With CYA in the 20-30 range, the Pool School Chlorine/CYA Chart says shock level is 10-12. This is not to say 8 won't get the job done, but the process will slow down.

My take is you should let the tabs dissolve, that you have in there now, but switch to bleach as your primary chlorine source. You have enough CYA at this point that you won't lose absolutely everything to sunlight each day, but the shock levels aren't ridiculous either. Finish the shock process with bleach, and then if you want a higher CYA you can do that after you're done shocking.

Recap: Don't add any more tabs; target FC 12 using bleach; backwash as needed; and see what happens.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

5. Back To Top    #5

What Paul R said.

You can always dilute your sample 50/50 with distilled water to read higher Chlorine levels. Or if you have one of those pricey water filters that removes everything, that works, too, for Chlorine testing anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! Nothing like breaking out the jackhammer to get your pool open for the summer.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by scuba frog
    Now have:
    FCL 7.86
    TCL 8.43

But I would think that a week of filtering 24/7 at 7.5-8.0 FCL and daily manual and auto cleaning would have killed that by now no? So right now the pool is shocked to 10+ (max of tester) and the bot is running but the water is getting no clearer. What do I do. It's a blue gray color in the shallow end and I can see the bottom. The deep end is more of a green color and can only see down a few feet.
    You aren't done shocking - your CC is still over .5 and you're water is not clear.

Our criteria for knowing when you are "done" is

Your FC holds overnight or you less than 1ppm;
    Your CC is .5 or less;
    Your water is crystal clear (if you don't have an FAS-DPD test to confirm 1 and 2)

I highly recommend you get your own Test Kit, its the best investment you can make to protect your investment.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    I highly recommend you get your own Test Kit, its the best investment you can make to protect your investment.
    Exactly!

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

To start, thanks for all your help. I didn't fully under standing shocking. I was keeping a high chlorine level and shocking once a day. What I needed to be doing was maintaining the shock level. Now that I am keeping it at about 11 ppm things have been clearing right up with improvements by the hour.

As far as a test kit I have a LaMotte ColorQ 7 Pro. I know I kind of stuck that in the middle of everything so it might have been missed or are you trying to say that's not good and should get a Taylor and learn to read colors?

Thanks again for all the help. I can see the bottom now and it's getting better. The dark streak is stuff I need to vacuum the off the bottom

[attachment=0:15tyonb0]see bottom.JPG[/attachment:15tyonb0]

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Hi, Scuba,

A lot of folks miss that point. Sounds like you are on your way.

The La Motte ColorQ seems to be a mixed blessing. It seems to do Okay for pH but can't measure high levels of FC (which you need to do when you shock properly and it really seems to lose accuracy with the CH and CYA test.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, perhaps you can supplement your kit with an FAS-DPD test and a separate CYA test.... you can purchase these tests "ala carte" from both Taylor and TFtestkits.net.

Keep us posted....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com