why bury an AGP?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
It seems like you're 1/3 of the way to just having an inground pool installed, why buy an AGP? What's the big deal about using a ladder or having a deck with steps?

Does it not shorten the life of the metal with rust around the pool by being constantly moist?

I for one couldn't afford an inground.. soooo for roughly $6000 my AGP was bought, assembled and buried. I didn't do it for the deck, ladder or steps. Eventually I will have a deck to have the area to layout and/or hang out. As for it being moist - I've never had a problem with it being constantly moist around the edges at ground level probably because of the rail caps. As for moisture being 3 ft down, the PB guy said it depended on the moisture in your soil 3 ft down. He claims the pool may last 5 years, may last 10, there is no real way of telling. But I've heard they are starting to make AGP for burying, a lil more pricey tho. Either way, I can now save to have a true inground one day and swim in the meantime!

I have pics of my build and bury but I forgot the title, don't know how to do the link, so I'll be back.......

If you don't have a flat yard, you have to partially bury it unless you want a huge excavating effort to build a mound capable of supporting the pool.

I'd imagine the main reason is aesthetics. An AG pool on the ground is a 5' wall in your yard and blocks the view.

esim13 said:
Exactly!! I'd much rather look out my back windows and see the beautiful sparkling water than a metal side.

Your windows must be ground level then, because I look out my back windows to my AGP and see sparkling water just fine.

It's everyone's preference and not mine to judge, I just find a buried AGP to be a ridiculous waste of money. It's like a person is embarrassed that they could ONLY AFFORD a AGP so they bury it to make it look like something it's not.

To each his own though and I respect that. I guess I'd just rather use the extra expense on a bigger pool, decking, landscaping, a cabana, grill or a ton of other stuff I'd rather have in my backyard :)

Rastoma,
It does sound like you are judging. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but you asked the question and I was just giving you my side.

To each his own....

by the way, my windows, 6 of them, are about a foot off the ground. So yes, I like having the pool lower because when I look out my windows I do not want to see the sides of my pool. This is my preference no matter how ridiculous it seems to others.

Peace

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm having (my wife is rather) a 16x32 AGP in a couple of weeks. It will buried 2 feet deep on the high side of my yard which slopes from the deck on the back of my house to the fence line at the rear. One reason for burying is so that while being in the pool, you are not so visible above the fence to the neighbors in my neighborhood. Another is so that I don't have to build a deck on one end or the side which is 5 feet in the air. This is what I'm being told at least!

Hi! :wave:

Can kids jump into an ABG? If not (as was the case MANY years ago when I was a child) would burying it make it stable enough for kids to jump into? If so, that would be reason enough for ME to want a buried ABG - jumping in is all my kiddos seem to want to do with pools!

I guess I didn't really think about that - my kids are 4 and 1, they are flyweights and don't dive yet but I'm sure it won't be long for the oldest....so, scratch jumping in (I would recognize diving as being a no-no in an ABG) as a reason for burying!

Another reason to bury an AGP instead of buying an in-ground is the tax advantages. An in-ground pool is viewed as a permanent improvement and most places increase property taxes for the real or imagined increase in value. An AGP is considered to be temporary and therefore is not taxed. In theory if not always actuality, they are more easily removable. Obviously tax treatment will vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so you have to check with your town to see how pools are taxed there.

Sue

I buried mine for various reasons other than $$. We were advised by other owners to get some experience in caring for a pool and invest later on down the road. We have friends who are total slaves to their swimming pools all summer and we didn't want to have buyers remorse. Of corse we have told them about TFP!!! We both work full time and we have two children both in athletics and music and we didn't want to get in over our heads. We decided an above ground would be a great option and a temporary one in case we decided not to keep a pool. I did alot of research and browsed tons of sites looking fo the perfect above ground. That's when I discovered the doughboy site and got the notion a bury could be done. Once I saw that, I wasn't changing my mind for the simple fact that it looks a lot nicer for my taste and we seem to have more landscaping options. We didn't have to haul off much dirt as we used what was left over for leveling in other parts of our yard ( I have a 5 acre corner lot in the country and it slopes here and there). It only costs me $300.00 for the equipment rental as I have friends in certain areas. I will admit, there has been a lot of blood, sweat, and tears involved as it was our little DYI project and we still have things to do here and there. We should be complete mid July. But you know...it's mine, it's pretty, and we enjoy it.

Whether it's an Intex or an Infinity, we are ALL in the same club.

There are a lot of reasons to bury or partly bury an AGP. My main reason was the property taxes would go way up. Right now am protected by an old Prop 13 law, otherwise I'd never be able to keep the house my mother left me and that I grew up in. If I put an in-ground permanent pool in my prop taxes would quadruple. I'm in L.A. and we have very high prop tax rates here.

Another reason was my yard slopes down and in order to level it some digging was required so that's what we did. We wound up digging down 2 feet and putting a deck about a third of the way at one end of the oval. Another reason for the dig was that we have close neighbors and didn't want to be on a deck 5 feet in the air looking into their yards!

Also, aesthetically, yes it's nice to be able to look out and see sparkling blue water. It's also a safety factor in being able to see who is IN the pool from the patio as well as from the deck.

For us it didn't cost any extra to dig because we were able to ensare some friends for a dig party! It actually worked! In fact one friend got so into his area that he dug well past the 2 foot depth and we all turned around to find this huge hole!!! We laughed about it and joked it was our deep end. This was before the hopper/extended liners (I think; or at least I'd never heard of them at the time) (1982) and we had to fill in the hold he'd dug, compact it and set up. As it turned out for a while with the first liner we did indeed have a sort of "deep end" (4" deeper at the far end!) because he'd dug it at the end that sloped away and down in the first place. But that liner lasted a good ten years and the next one we had guys come out who were experts in AGP installation. They leveled and fixed our "deep end" and we were fine. My Muskin wasn't advertised to be put in the ground but our AGP center who I bought it from had people who buried their pools with no problem. Maybe our dirt is drier and problem free here in CA...I don't know but that wall is 28 years old now and still going strong.

Here is what it looks like today:
PoolDeck-6.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.