Help! Ran Out of R-0071 Right in the Middle of It!

Lolly

Jun 6, 2009
Concord NC
We uncovered our pool Sunday and have been shocking the aglae away since. It's almost gone, water's now a slightly cloudy blue and FC has been close to holding all day. I was going to do the overnight test tonight but am almost out of R-0071 drops! I just ordered some but it will be a couple of days till it gets here. What do I do?? CYA is 50 so FC needs to be 20, too high to use the other tester. Any suggestions??

Me ----->>> :hammer:

Lolly said:
We uncovered our pool Sunday and have been shocking the aglae away since. It's almost gone, water's now a slightly cloudy blue and FC has been close to holding all day. I was going to do the overnight test tonight but am almost out of R-0071 drops! I just ordered some but it will be a couple of days till it gets here. What do I do?? CYA is 50 so FC needs to be 20, too high to use the other tester. Any suggestions??

Me ----->>> :hammer:

I would say the pool store, but not sure they can test that high for FC. Hopefully someone will be along wth other ideas.

Shot glass method - 3 parts distilled or chlorine-free water and 1 part pool water. Mix together and then use that as your test sample pour it into the comparator. add the drops and then multiply the results by four. It does lose some accuracy this way but will allow you to test up to 20.

Don't bother with the overnight FC test tonight; but add enough chlorine to reach 20 each evening until your reagent refill arrives.

Another approach, fairly rough, is to get out the OTO chlorine test and look at the color it gives when FC is 20 and then try to remember that color and aim for it again. The OTO test reads TC levels up to about 40 as distinct colors, there just aren't color charts to compare it to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.