A quick review of Polaris models from a Polaris Mechanic

polaris mechanic

In The Industry
Apr 28, 2010
I work on all Polaris models, and have so for 18 years.
I will be brief:

models 180 & 280 (2 wheel drive with a transfer wheel)
Well made units with the oldest "drive" system. the bearings wear out quickly causing the front and single side wheels to loose their camber, or become "wobbley". this then leads to the wheel gears to get chewed up and broken.
SOLUTION: replace all 8 bearings on these units every 2-3 years.

model 380 (3 wheel drive WITHOUT a transfer wheel)
As this unit is made now (2010), all previous problems have been fixed. Water management is now glued, belts last as long as 6 years. filter screen has been changed to an inline, larger unit.
the 380 will get arond the pool much faster than the 180 or 280, however, its' "throat" is not as big as the 280 so it will not pick up the neighbors cat as the 280 will.

model 3900 (3 wheel drive WITHOUT a transfer wheel)
This model is designed after the 380, 480, and 280. the bag and "throat" are from the 280 & 480 model. everything else is an advanced heavy duty 380 model.
the 3900 has a bigger bag, better traction with the bigger wheels, hard plumbed water management, and a stainless steel chain drive system.
The entire unit is now UV protected.
***Polaris has fixed the wheel issue last year, if you have this problem, take it in to a Polaris repair center, usually at your pool store you bought it from, and it will be repaired for free.

And finally- please note this on all Polaris 180, 280, 380, & 3900 models:
THE BACK UP VALVE CAN AND WILL CRACK CAUSING ALL UNITS TO ACT SLUGGISH.
Look closely around the jet on the back up valve, if there is a crack OR the black O-ring seal around the jet is comprimised - replace it!!
Make sure a hose float is always placed just behind the back up valve, this will help to keep the valve body off the bottom of the pool and keep it from cracking and it will protect the seal.

feel free to contact me directly if you have questions about your Polaris model.
I will not answer on the Legend models other than to get rid of it and get a Polaris!! :)

thanks!
[email protected]

Also,
These cleaners are like little cars, they need repairs now and then. They can be repaired
at very little cost. extending their life to 15+ years!!!

you wouldn't expect your car to last 10+ years without an oil change.

Seek repairing your current model before buying a new one!

Tim

Well made units with the oldest "drive" system. the bearings wear out quickly causing the front and single side wheels to loose their camber, or become "wobbley". this then leads to the wheel gears to get chewed up and broken.

Yes, I had this problem at the end of last summer, after about 3 years. My 280 would not go shallow and was doing large circles in the deep end. I took a good look and found the gears in the wheel were stripped. I swapped it with a wheel that did not need the gear and it was running fine again. When that wheel goes to pot, I'll look at replacing the wheels and bearings as well.

polaris mechanic said:
Thanks,
I had a customer today tell me about this place and
he read that polaris cleaners only last 4 years! what???
I felt compelled!!
tim
I can understand that... on the other hand, I don't remember any posts like that, and couldn't find any with a quick search. I did come up with one where somebody posted about replacing their 15-year-old Polaris, though. :)
--paulr

OP - Although I doubt there is any service data to speak of, I would think it interesting if you could share any knowledge of the internals of the new 9300.

polaris mechanic said:
I work on all Polaris models, and have so for 18 years.
I will be brief:

[email protected]

Many thanks for your valuable info. I've had 280s since they first came out. The only reason I've had to replace them is my dogs have "rescued" and then "killed" them. :rant: Of course I've always saved salvageable parts. I have a nice collection of floats. My current 280 is at least 6 years old. Except for about half of 2008 it typically runs minimum of 10 hours a day year round. I used the Aquabot this past winter but have put 280 back in service because the Aquabot is just so much hassle, fine bags clogs up too fast with my microscopic dust, and, now, using the EZ disposable bags, the 280 is picking up more fine stuff that goes right through the Polaris sand/silt bag and even the liner sock for bag. I'm now running it 3 x 3 hour cycles as the Pool Skim is helping to catch floating debris so most of Polaris's job is sand/silt/and finer stuff. What I want to ask is, should I replace the bearings now before trouble hits? I know your answer is "YES". They have never been replaced and don't seem wobbly but I'd like to avoid the issue you describe. An issue I didn't know existed. The most frequent replacement for my 280 is, of course, the foam scrubber pretty frequently, then tail wear rings yearly, and tires about every 2.5 years. Hoses last three to four years; actually longer but new ones work better in the winter. I replace the hose swivels as needed and have learned to keep at least one backup and at least one backup wall screen. I replace the wall fitting every couple of years, too, just to make it easier on my arthritic dominant hand, especially in winter. My current guy is still on his original backup module. In fact, I just checked that this a.m. and it's looking good.

I love my Polaris. :whoot:

Thanks, gg=alice

Okay, you do not mention 360 pressure side units. Mine is very temperamental, to say the least.

Issues: 1. hose connections stink to high heaven 2. unit gets stuck in shallow end corner, whitened (burned) a section of my liner but this ONLY happens when cleaner is attached to deep end pressure return. When I attach to shallow end return it cleans quite well. 3. I've seen the unit get stuck via suction on the shallow/deep end transition edge. I basically have to babysit this machine.

My goals this year: get a SWG and robotic cleaner. Either that a cabana pool boy who will tend to pool and fetch me drinks all the while wearing a blue sequined speedo. (A girl has to have a dream).

Welcome to TFP!!

THANK YOU for sharing your knowledge :bowdown:

I was certified by Polaris ~ 20 years ago and don't feel comfortable diagnosing them after such a long time :cool:

If I can help you with any pool issues you run into, please ask of me :goodjob: I feel I owe you one for this :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.