Getting ready for installation, could use some feedback

kyk96

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2009
Hello All,

I am convinced that summer will come to Michigan sometime in 2010, so I am gearing up to install the 24' round AGP that has been taking up room in our garage for a month or so.

First things first, here is what I plan to do for site prep. We have very heavy clay soil and are of course in a heavy winter kind of area. I plan to excavate the turf away with a box blade and tractor, then level the area. I have about 10" difference from the high to low side, so this will take some time. Then, I plan putting down a ring of crusher run (#411 limestone is what call it here I think) that will go 2-3 ft inside and outside of the bottom rails. I am thinking maybe 5" deep? Then I will dig holes in this base to set the patio blocks flush for the connector plates to sit on. The idea is to have something firm for the frame to set on and then be able to have the finished pool a little deeper in the middle and a ledge that is 4' deep around the outside. How does this sound? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'll put up pics once I get started. Thanks!! :roll:

Sounds like a good plan. When you set that crusher run dampen it a bit and use a vibrating plate to compact it as much as you can. It'll be a bit of a problem but make sure you get the breaking slopes too.

Thanks for those tips! Do you think the 5" is enough depth for the crusher run? I hope I am not getting in too deep, so to speak, doing this myself. I have read a lot so far and the more help from this site the better. Thanks again!

should be plenty...there isn't that much downward pressure on the sidewalls and some folks do not even use patio blocks (we did to be safe). Most of the downward pressure is beneath the liner. The wall itself is holding the water from pushing out. I think you have a solid plan there, just make sure to use fine sand under the liner or some sort of pool bottom material.

I have not installed an AGP pool but have worked with different rock so take this with a grain of salt.

Crusher run is not very workable. My experience is it compacts when you dont want it to and, to an extent, gets areas where the larger rocks don't work themselves into the dust as level and uniform as you would like under a pool liner.

Digging into it after compaction would seem to be a pain.

What about pea gravel or a slightly larger, uniform rock? It is very workable and easy to get perfectly level. It literally cannot be compacted and will settle very little.

Crusher run can also be somewhat waterproof after settling in whereas pea gravel would provide a much more uniform drainage.

yup, I was planning on a sand bottom over the ring of crusher and of course in the middle of the pool where it will just be excavated ground. I wouldn't go to this much trouble except for I have seen how much our ground can heave in the winter. It's like a big sponge when it sees water.
I may have to look at something for lining under the sand if I find lots of small rocks when I level. I wouldn't want any of them to work up through the sand and puncture the liner. Any ideas out there for something to use that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? I will still use sand over it. maybe commercial greenhouse ground fabric or something? Wow, so much to think about! :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.