Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 or IC40?

QCJLo

Jun 30, 2009
I am self installing a Viking St Thomas 13,700 gallon pool. I will be installing the Pentair IntelliChlor system. I figured I needed the IC20 since my pool is under 20,000 gallons. Is that correct, or is there a reason I need to move up to the IC40?

An IC-20 would work, but the percentage would have to be set higher than an IC-40. The prices are pretty similar between the two; i would go with the IC-40. My pool is around 14,000 gallons and I have an IC-40. I run it ~2 hours a day and keep my FC at 5 ppm. Everybodies pool is different, but the rule of thumb is get the biggest SWCG you can, within reason, obviously.

My thinking was if your fill water is high in TA and CH and you are in an arid area and have to frequently add water you'll be in a constant battle against drifting PH therefore the larger cell size would be well worth the additional funds so that you can run the unit less.

frustratedpoolmom said:
My thinking was if your fill water is high in TA and CH and you are in an arid area and have to frequently add water you'll be in a constant battle against drifting PH therefore the larger cell size would be well worth the additional funds so that you can run the unit less.

Actually, thats not a bad consideration, either. The IC-40 should make plenty of chlorine for his needs and cut the run time quite a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.