Adding Blue Dye to pool water

StuartPool

In The Industry
Apr 20, 2010
I know that many lake companies add blue dye to water to reduce alge growth in lakes
Using just basic food color, do you think that it would reduce the growth of alge in a pool?

Would this reduce the sun consumption of chlorine?

Is it dangerous?

Food coloring won't work. All of the common food colors will be broken down by chlorine and gone within hours (or minutes more likely).

Besides, we don't want to reduce the growth of algae, we want to totally eliminate it. If there was such a product, it might be a good thing to use when fighting algae. But for normal day to day use, chlorine works fine and you have to have chlorine anyway.

StuartPool said:
I know that many lake companies add blue dye to water to reduce alge growth in lakes
Using just basic food color, do you think that it would reduce the growth of alge in a pool?

Would this reduce the sun consumption of chlorine?

Is it dangerous?
I don't think it's dye. I think it's copper sulfate. No algae and a really pretty turquoise color. It also stains things real good. They used to dump it in the artificial lake at an amusement park I worked at when I was a teenager. You don't want it in your pool, unless you like green hair.

I actually use an organic dye in my Koi ponds during the period just before I have full oxygenator vegetation growth (underwater plantlife) and surface coverage of my vegetation (lilies, etc) - it does in fact inhibit algae growth. But that is correct above, it would almost instantly be neutralized by the chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I keep reading this thread...and every time I keep thinking of something my pool store told me just this year. I was buying a couple bags of shock...not sure which of the proteam ones I was getting, but the guy told me he really liked this shock because....

Are you ready?

It put an ever so slight blue tint to the water when it was doing its job properly....

yah, in other words once you kill all the algae and have FC levels as high as they need to be and nothing else is living in your water...it will be blue and sparkly... :hammer:

And still I bought it. Then I found TFP...

If I was open in March, I'd put green dye in my pool just like the chicago river!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.