my dog ate my pool equipment---seriously

Using a small, rather dull chisel (you don't want it to cut through the pipe) and a hammer, start tapping down on the inside edge of the left side of the leftover PVC pipe. GENTLY! You don't want to break anything, you just want to slowly get the pipe to start turning until you get it to where you can unscrew it the rest of the way. If you beat on it like a maniac then you could break that expensive multiport valve.

Here's what I would try.
1) Take a pair of Channellocks and close them and stick the jaws in the white pipe and open them hard (but not hard enough to break the collar) and try to twist the piece out. Hopefully the backs of the jaws are sharp enough to get a good bite in the pipe.

2) Take a piece of 1¼" pipe, sand the end of it down till it fits in the broken piece and then glue it in there, let it cure and try to twist it out with a pipe wrench.

3) Try chisel method as posted by HarryH3 above.

geekgranny said:
Oh my doG. Got to know what kind of dog owns you?

Your dog has one upped my monsters but I'm not going to tell them.

gg=alice

Ditto...I thought mine that chewed up hoses, cans, logs, plastic bottles, rusty nails, old deck boards, rocks, shreds blankets, and breaks up garden soil better than a tiller was bad...

I'm interested to see what happened to the rest of it..?

I guess I should explain.. thanks for the all the info.. I think it should be a fairly straight forward fix... anyway... as you can see in the before picture, the waste line has several L's in it to bring the pvc pipe to the ground level and then connecting to the blue waste line. The dog ( a rescued shelter mutt) likes to play in the water when I'm back washing. She got in her head last night that she could shake it and get water to come out. When she picked it up, she took off running with it which put pressure on the pvc pipe and pulled it away breaking the joint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow.

I have internal pipe wrenches that expand and grab harder as you twist, but the biggest is only 3/4".

Gluing a stub in would be my first effort.

Next up is to get a mini back-saw used by model builders and carefully notch the stump every 1/4" or so for at least a quarter of the diameter. (A hacksaw blade in a pair of visegrips might also work) Don't nick the threads- soon as you see black, stop! Then put a sharp punch or chisel at the outer edge and give it a whack. Ideally a chunk will break and go in. It will sorta look like this @ Then it's easy to unscrew the rest with the pressure off the threads. I've done this many times using a drill instead of a saw on broken heater pipe fittings seized into intake manifolds.

Another idea would be to find a stiff putty knife or wood chisel the right width, heat it up with a torch, and melt it in, then unscrew.

But gluing is probably safest.

All the ideas posted above can work well. Here's one more. If the backwash pipe had some movement you might be able to snug a #8 or #9 winterizing plug inside the broken fitting. Leaving enough of the plug sticking out to grab it by hand and twist. Just don't wrench the plug too tight it could crack the multi-port. This will only work if it was slightly loose already.

To expand a bit of what Lershac said, if you go with gluing a smaller pipe inside, then DO NOT apply any glue to the inside of the existing fitting. Any excess could get pushed out the back of the fitting as you insert the pipe, gluing the threads into the multiport valve for eternity... :( Just apply some glue to the pipe and twist it into place to spread the glue around.

Bama Rambler said:
Here's what I would try.
1) Take a pair of Channellocks and close them and stick the jaws in the white pipe and open them hard (but not hard enough to break the collar) and try to twist the piece out. Hopefully the backs of the jaws are sharp enough to get a good bite in the pipe.

2) Take a piece of 1¼" pipe, sand the end of it down till it fits in the broken piece and then glue it in there, let it cure and try to twist it out with a pipe wrench.

3) Try chisel method as posted by HarryH3 above.

Ok..it took me two days but it is fixed. Sanding down the 1 1/4 inch pipe was a slow process even with an electric sander and once I installed it there was not enough contact for the old piece and new piece to bond. I let it set overnight but the new piece broke free. I then went to option 1 the channellocks. They did not bite like I was hoping they would so I moved on the the chisel method. I made a small "trench" in the stuck piece and got nervous so I called my father in law to see if he had any thing that might make it easier. He came over with a larger pair of channel locks and was able to open the channellocks and put part of the plier into the "trench" i had cut and twist it out... a new male adapter, some plumbers tape and I was done. success.

I will say be careful getting anyone else to help, his first thought was the use a pry bar and hammer and pull it out... he did not know it was threaded... glad I was paying attention or I might be asking how to fix the whole dang thing.

I had to laugh (sorry) when I saw that picture. That EXACT same issue happened to our backwash connection two years ago but from a cat - nope, he didn't chew it but he knocked something off a shelf onto it and busted it in a jagged way to look just like that. We fixed it pretty much the same way you did. Animals, gotta love em.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.