Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: my dog ate my pool equipment---seriously

1. Back To Top    #1

my dog ate my pool equipment---seriously

Okay...can I fix this? Or this this a pool service issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC
    New 18x36 vinyl liner pool with lighting and fountain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: my dog ate my pool equipment---seriously

I'm hoping that's a threaded connection. Tough dog!

Maybe some channel locks and some elbow grease.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Using a small, rather dull chisel (you don't want it to cut through the pipe) and a hammer, start tapping down on the inside edge of the left side of the leftover PVC pipe. GENTLY! You don't want to break anything, you just want to slowly get the pipe to start turning until you get it to where you can unscrew it the rest of the way. If you beat on it like a maniac then you could break that expensive multiport valve.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's what I would try.
    1) Take a pair of Channellocks and close them and stick the jaws in the white pipe and open them hard (but not hard enough to break the collar) and try to twist the piece out. Hopefully the backs of the jaws are sharp enough to get a good bite in the pipe.

2) Take a piece of 1¼" pipe, sand the end of it down till it fits in the broken piece and then glue it in there, let it cure and try to twist it out with a pipe wrench.

3) Try chisel method as posted by HarryH3 above.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Suggestion #2 (glue in pipe extension) looks like a winner IMO.
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by kjcole
    Suggestion #2 (glue in pipe extension) looks like a winner IMO.
    I was thinking that too. Good suggestion Bama!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    "It depends."- JohnT

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok great. sounds like I can try the 1 1/4" pipe idea... Here's a better look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh my doG. Got to know what kind of dog owns you?

Your dog has one upped my monsters but I'm not going to tell them.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    Oh my doG. Got to know what kind of dog owns you?

Your dog has one upped my monsters but I'm not going to tell them.

gg=alice

Ditto...I thought mine that chewed up hoses, cans, logs, plastic bottles, rusty nails, old deck boards, rocks, shreds blankets, and breaks up garden soil better than a tiller was bad...

I'm interested to see what happened to the rest of it..?
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I guess I should explain.. thanks for the all the info.. I think it should be a fairly straight forward fix... anyway... as you can see in the before picture, the waste line has several L's in it to bring the pvc pipe to the ground level and then connecting to the blue waste line. The dog ( a rescued shelter mutt) likes to play in the water when I'm back washing. She got in her head last night that she could shake it and get water to come out. When she picked it up, she took off running with it which put pressure on the pvc pipe and pulled it away breaking the joint.
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC

11. Back To Top    #11

I know it's not funny to you, but I can't help but laugh I hope you get it fixed o.k.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Did I see your dog on TV, pulling the bumper cover off of a police car?
    22 x 40 IG vinyl lined, 23,570 gal.
    1 hp. Pac-Fab Challenger pump 300# sand filter
    Intex 8110 SWG, Hayward CL220 offline feeder
    Hayward 250K Btu gas heater
    Aquabots

13. Back To Top    #13

Wow.

I have internal pipe wrenches that expand and grab harder as you twist, but the biggest is only 3/4".

Gluing a stub in would be my first effort.

Next up is to get a mini back-saw used by model builders and carefully notch the stump every 1/4" or so for at least a quarter of the diameter. (A hacksaw blade in a pair of visegrips might also work) Don't nick the threads- soon as you see black, stop! Then put a sharp punch or chisel at the outer edge and give it a whack. Ideally a chunk will break and go in. It will sorta look like this @ Then it's easy to unscrew the rest with the pressure off the threads. I've done this many times using a drill instead of a saw on broken heater pipe fittings seized into intake manifolds.

Another idea would be to find a stiff putty knife or wood chisel the right width, heat it up with a torch, and melt it in, then unscrew.

But gluing is probably safest.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

All the ideas posted above can work well. Here's one more. If the backwash pipe had some movement you might be able to snug a #8 or #9 winterizing plug inside the broken fitting. Leaving enough of the plug sticking out to grab it by hand and twist. Just don't wrench the plug too tight it could crack the multi-port. This will only work if it was slightly loose already.
    AG 32' 52" Doughboy

15. Back To Top    #15

On the Gluing... use the glue SPARINGLY! Too much and you could exacerbate your problem.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

16. Back To Top    #16

To expand a bit of what Lershac said, if you go with gluing a smaller pipe inside, then DO NOT apply any glue to the inside of the existing fitting. Any excess could get pushed out the back of the fitting as you insert the pipe, gluing the threads into the multiport valve for eternity... Just apply some glue to the pipe and twist it into place to spread the glue around.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Here's what I would try.
    1) Take a pair of Channellocks and close them and stick the jaws in the white pipe and open them hard (but not hard enough to break the collar) and try to twist the piece out. Hopefully the backs of the jaws are sharp enough to get a good bite in the pipe.

2) Take a piece of 1¼" pipe, sand the end of it down till it fits in the broken piece and then glue it in there, let it cure and try to twist it out with a pipe wrench.

3) Try chisel method as posted by HarryH3 above.
    Ok..it took me two days but it is fixed. Sanding down the 1 1/4 inch pipe was a slow process even with an electric sander and once I installed it there was not enough contact for the old piece and new piece to bond. I let it set overnight but the new piece broke free. I then went to option 1 the channellocks. They did not bite like I was hoping they would so I moved on the the chisel method. I made a small "trench" in the stuck piece and got nervous so I called my father in law to see if he had any thing that might make it easier. He came over with a larger pair of channel locks and was able to open the channellocks and put part of the plier into the "trench" i had cut and twist it out... a new male adapter, some plumbers tape and I was done. success.

I will say be careful getting anyone else to help, his first thought was the use a pry bar and hammer and pull it out... he did not know it was threaded... glad I was paying attention or I might be asking how to fix the whole dang thing.
    Grant and Jerri
    Liberty, NC

18. Back To Top    #18

Glad you got it resolved.
    "It depends."- JohnT

19. Back To Top    #19

Glad you got it out as well. Now when you reroute the piping either drive an anchor into the ground or anchor the piping to the pad so Rover doesn't do so much damage to it next time he decides to play!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

I had to laugh (sorry) when I saw that picture. That EXACT same issue happened to our backwash connection two years ago but from a cat - nope, he didn't chew it but he knocked something off a shelf onto it and busted it in a jagged way to look just like that. We fixed it pretty much the same way you did. Animals, gotta love em.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!