Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool store chemicals to raise TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool store chemicals to raise TA?

When my pool builder built my pool last year, he left me with a few pails of "pool store" chemicals. On testing my pool when I opened it last week, the TA is around 50-60 and would like to raise it to the recommended levels here at TFP to about 70 (or should I just leave it as is?).

The pail from the pool builder is called "Buffer", and it says it's used "to increase TA of pools", and it's made by Mursatt Chemicals. It doesn't mention if it also raises the PH as well.

So my two questions are;

1. Should I try and raise the TA or is it OK at 50-60 (my PH seems stable enough, usually around 7.5)

2. Do you think I should be careful when adding it, in case it increases the PH as well?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool store chemicals to raise TA?

Does it say what the active ingredient is? Its probably soda ash which will raise both.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

It's baking soda. If your pH is stable, I wouldn't worry about your TA.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    I looked all over the container, but it doesn't mention the ingredients...

I'll follow John's advice and keep an eye on my PH levels, and if they don't change much, I won't bother playing with the TA.
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy320
    I looked all over the container, but it doesn't mention the ingredients...
    Our local dealer also sells Mursatt. Buffer is definitely baking soda/sodium bicarbonate.
    Here is the MSDS for Mursatt "Buffer":
    http://www.mursattchemicals.com/pdf/buffer.pdf
    The MSDS notes that it is also useful as a "Leavening agent, cleaner ingredient, bath salt ingredient, water softener, diaper rinse ingredient, feed additive."!

For final proof, here is an identical MSDS, for baking soda:
    http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf...icarb-pool.pdf
    18X36' 25000 gal Jacuzzi vinyl Inground Pool (1985) with resin sidewalls, newer Jacuzzi 1 hp two-speed pump and sand filter. Raypak propane heater, Rainbow 320 chlorinator (mostly use bleach).
    Softtub 220 portable hot tub.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've just stumbled on this thread.. after buying two pails of "Buffer" from the pool store to get my pool going. At $27 for 8kg of the stuff (and I needed 2 x 8kg), I guess it would have been cheaper to buy baking soda directly in bulk?
    19.5k gallons in ground, P4 panel with turbocell SWG, 1hp Hayward superpump II, sand filter, Heater low nox 250k btu heater, solar cover on rocky roller

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by mart242
    I've just stumbled on this thread.. after buying two pails of "Buffer" from the pool store to get my pool going. At $27 for 8kg of the stuff (and I needed 2 x 8kg), I guess it would have been cheaper to buy baking soda directly in bulk?
    But if you bought it at Costco or somewhere cheap like that, you wouldn't get those swell pails.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!