Can I add salt to lower CH?

Mar 27, 2010
Probably a dumb question; but my mind thinks up these crazy ideas while I sleep - or when I am in the shower.

Follow the logic if you dare. For centuries people have added salt to water to soften it. You can still buy bath salts. I have a water softener at my house that uses salt to condition the water. Salt makes water feel slick and soft.

If the above is true, could I throw some salt in my pool and lower the CH, or is it totally unrelated?

:-D Not a dumb question! But no, adding salt to the pool won't remove calcium from it, although it can improve the "feel" of the water.

The reason that salt is used in a water softener is because it functions as a replacement for the calcium in the water. Via reverse osmosis, the calcium ions in the water are exchanged for sodium ions inside the water softener.

Good question, and shows you're thinking (and lets me know I'm not the only one who thinks in the shower!)!

Salt is also corrosive above certain levels (well, it is always slightly corrosive, but more so above certain levels :oops: ), so you want to watch that!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.