Coping with rough coping - just paint it?

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Our 'mid-century modern' IGP has concrete coping that is in good structural shape but the 40+ years of weathering have made it rather abrasive. Hubby was thinking that painting it would be the most cost-effective fix. Anyone painted concrete coping before and have recommendations for an appropriate paint?

this pic gives you an idea of what the coping looks like - the pitted areas give it a texture a bit like pumice. On the plus side, it's inherently non-skid, minuses are that a few swimmers have gotten scrapes from it.
DSCF3149.jpg

(BTW the submersible pump is in there b/c I was using pool water to irrigate a few shrubs, back when I was doing partial drain and refill to lower CYA last season)

Painting sand paper creates a different colored sand paper, and painting your coping will just create a different colored rough coping :lol: I don't think you'll be real happy with paint, and it will end up peeling/flaking after a while as well.

The trick to painting concrete to last is preparation, preparation, preparation. Use a paint that's specifically for concrete. Be aware that if you paint it it will be more slippery than it is now unless you add sand. Sand is a two edged sword, it makes the slipping hazard less but it makes cleaning it much harder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.