Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping with rough coping - just paint it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping with rough coping - just paint it?

Our 'mid-century modern' IGP has concrete coping that is in good structural shape but the 40+ years of weathering have made it rather abrasive. Hubby was thinking that painting it would be the most cost-effective fix. Anyone painted concrete coping before and have recommendations for an appropriate paint?

this pic gives you an idea of what the coping looks like - the pitted areas give it a texture a bit like pumice. On the plus side, it's inherently non-skid, minuses are that a few swimmers have gotten scrapes from it.

(BTW the submersible pump is in there b/c I was using pool water to irrigate a few shrubs, back when I was doing partial drain and refill to lower CYA last season)
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Clear ThermaTex bubble cover
    Manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping with rough coping - just paint it?

Painting sand paper creates a different colored sand paper, and painting your coping will just create a different colored rough coping I don't think you'll be real happy with paint, and it will end up peeling/flaking after a while as well.

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't paint it either.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, so if paint won't work, are there any suitable products that could be applied to the coping to decrease the abrasiveness, or should we just wear work gloves when we're in the pool ?
    1950's-era 17K gallon formerly fiberglass, newly replastered IG rectangle (~15x30'),
    Hayward S244S Sand Filter with Franklin Electric 0.75 HP motor and WhisperFlo WFE-3 pump
    Manual vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

If you decide to paint the coping here are some of your options.
    http://www.poolsupplies.com/maintenance ... 5wodCV4XCA
    24' 52" Agp 13500 gallons, PoolSchool, BBB, eco/kleer pump/filter 2.0 hp 70 gpm
    two 2'20' solar panels, 8110 intex swg

6. Back To Top    #6

The trick to painting concrete to last is preparation, preparation, preparation. Use a paint that's specifically for concrete. Be aware that if you paint it it will be more slippery than it is now unless you add sand. Sand is a two edged sword, it makes the slipping hazard less but it makes cleaning it much harder.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for the links. so would something like this be appropriate: http://www.poolsupplies.com/cgi-bin/Com ... add=action

BTW the coping, in spouse's words, is "not jagged, just rough" - we've painted non-pool exterior concrete surfaces before and remember that it made the texture a bit less rough
    Manual vacuum