Solar blanket

Oct 8, 2009
I have a new solar blanket I need to cut to fit my pool. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the thought of cutting this thing...it's 26x50!!! :!:
What is the best way to go about cutting this blanket? My pool is a free form shape also. I would love to get it on the pool since we have some warm weather coming this weekend. Should I keep the blanket in one piece or cut it into sections for easier removal? I probably will be taking it on and off myself.
Also, will the Polaris work under the blanket?
Thanks for any info on this!!!

mamasproject said:
I have a new solar blanket I need to cut to fit my pool. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the thought of cutting this thing...it's 26x50!!! :!:
What is the best way to go about cutting this blanket? My pool is a free form shape also. I would love to get it on the pool since we have some warm weather coming this weekend. Should I keep the blanket in one piece or cut it into sections for easier removal? I probably will be taking it on and off myself.
Also, will the Polaris work under the blanket?
Thanks for any info on this!!!

I have to do the same thing this year; I am looking forward to it, but I'm also not looking forward to it. The cover weighs 90 pounds dry (before the cutting).

I can't comment on the best way to cut it, but because of my irregular shape, a reel for me would not be practical, so I plan to cut it to shape (while in the pool of course), cutting slightly larger than I need to so I can tweak it later and get the "tightest" fit. Afterwards I will cut it into three sections to make removal easier since I will also be doing it myself.

From what I've read the polaris works fine under the cover, but the hose make push and pull a little on the blanket.

My solar blanket only needed to be trimmed on one end to fit the steps. It cut quite easily with a sharp pair of scissors. Once you start the cut, you can just push the scissors to continue the cut.

Be sure to put the blanket in the pool with the bubble side down. It is a real pain to flip it over if you are alone (not that I would know of course...)

Good luck!
Gordon

My Polaris has no problem being under the bubble wrap. In fact there's less spray from the tail now.

With a new cover I'd lay it out on top first, then cut to fit. Remember a new cover will likely stretch some after you put it on, as the folds relax and the warm sun makes it expand a little; what I did was lay it out one day, cut the next. That was in March or so; along about July I needed to trim it a little more.
--paulr

I have an oval pool, bought a rectangular cover, let it sit for a day on the water, then cut out the corners. Since I remove it myself and put it back on myself, I cut it in half. Laid it out in the yard and sliced it right down the middle with a razor knife. Sooo much easier to remove in two sections. Remember, the covers get heavy when covered in water. Also, this way, the kids can play in the shallow end uncovered, and I don't always have to remove the section over the deep end if they don't use that side of the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.