Skimmer socks rule!

hawkins3

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Eastern NC
My pool is full of beautiful, sparkly (alhtough still a bit chilly) water. I've been waging a battle with the tags from both an oak tree and pine tree that aren't directly beside the pool, but close enough to be a nuisance. I finally put an old knee-high in my skimmer Sunday evening to try to catch the little bit of film that's on the top of the water. When I checked it after work yesterday, I was amazed (and a little bit disgusted) by what I found ... good grief! It was probably a palmful of tan, spongy gunk which I am assuming is pollen. I tossed that knee-high & replaced it with another. Is it crazy that I'm looking forward to checking it out in a couple of hours? :shock:

Thanks to FPM & others who recommended using the skimmer sock. It's been a terrible pollen-filled spring thus far in NC!

So, since I can only repeat myself so many times to keep the saw dust AWAY from the pool during our deck re-do without risking 'accidental bonking in the face with a board full of old rusty nails'...as a precaution I outta just put some old pantyhose over the skimmer basket just in case?

Cuz the Lord above should know by now I don't plan using them for their intended purpose if I can help it...

There's so much extremely fine stuff that makes it to my filter via the main drain the skimmer sock probably only makes a tiny dent in the very fine stuff that goes to filter (I change them out at least twice a day even if not full of larger stuff because they get clogged with fine stuff.) but they certainly help to cut down on having to clean out the pump basket, which otherwise would need cleaning daily to remove plant debris. And that's using a Pool Skim to catch most of the floating debris before it even reaches the skimmer. Pool Skim does catch loads of doggie hair and some dust too.

Skimmer sock rules. :cheers:

Bama Rambler said:
poolgirl22 said:
Cuz the Lord above should know by now I don't plan using them for their intended purpose if I can help it...
What? There's another use for them besides skimmer basket socks, CYA delivery, sevin dust dispensing and aquarium algae scrubber?? I had no idea! :-D

Aquarium Algae scrubber??? SUUUUUUHHHHWEEETT!!!! :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a little worried about sawdust, too, as we're hoping to build a deck this month. We've considered putting a cover on, or using the solar blanket ... or maybe just leaving it uncovered & continuing to use the skimmer socks is the answer ... :?:

Yep, lots of yellowish sandy/spongy stuff here too when I first put the sock on (and was shocking). I still get a little of that, and a lot of dirt and Crud when I vacuum (have to clean it more than once per vacuum session).

I just turn the skimmer upside down, let the sock hang out, and alternate using an old plastic food container to scoop water from the pool and splash on the sock, and using my finger to brush the stuff into little rolls on the sock, then repeat the splashing (on my hand, first).

I found if you take the nylons and get big ones, pull them over the skimmer like you would normally,then push them inside out towards the basket the gunk goes into the parts left over and fills up quite a bit before I have to change it. Its good for swampy messes as well as you kill and brush the algae that is dead floats up and ends up in my sock not in my cart which I have to keep cleaning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.