Winter Cover Anchoring System

poolgirl22

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2010
Stephens City, VA
I put this question in my deck refurb thread, but I imagine it likely warrants a separate thread. I've been talking to my pool mechanical guy and we're trying to come up with something regarding the winter cover which we need to replace this year.

Pool set up: specs below, but 18x38 oval completely surrounded by wood deck which we are installing new boards this year. 2ft of decking on far end, 4ft on the long sides and 25ft on the main end.

What we had: Tarp type with black bottom and blue top. Grommets which a washer was placed on top of and a screwed down into the wood deck. I've never had a swamp upon opening, and we are very diligent about pumping water off during winter.

What I'd like: First, I don't want a bunch of new screw holes in my new deck, but don't mind an anchor system so long as it's not sticking up everywhere and causing a tripping hazard. Second, I have been presented with the idea of a safety cover with the wood deck anchors and straps. It's a great idea but sooooo expensive.
I wonder if the wood deck anchors could be placed where the grommets normally would be screwed down and will the grommets then be secured by the anchor screw, without straps? Does that make sense?

I contacted Paul at Pool and Spa Warehouse and he suggested the wood anchors and bungee cords between the grommet holes and attached to the anchors.

Our old tarp like cover was great for 7 years...and I don't mind that type again, but I just want a better attachment system.
Thanks a bunch for the ideas and photos would be ever so helpful.

There's a bunch of photos of our set up http://www.troublefreepool.com/deck-resurface-and-refurb-t20013.html

For a safety cover you have to be careful they have specifications when mounting to decks to keep the cover safety compliant. It basically has to do with the thickness of the wood and type of decking you have. If a safety cover is out of your money range the only alternative I have for you is the Eliminator cover which is designed for above grounds here is a link to their site
http://www.blueoceanpools.com/product_i ... i/16/pi/37

From what I've seen with this cover is that I believe they modify a regular winter cover by putting a strip of mesh material down the center and provide you with rubber straps and tubing straps. It works well but you'll have to come up with an idea of how you want it attached to the deck.

oooohh...kevin! That is intriguing..Thanks for sharing it. I think the system I came up with may work with that cover...

I, with the help of the mystery person at Lowe's yesterday and my father in law, came up with something that I think may just work...he's a mystery person because he had no badge, no vest, nothing, but seemed to know his stuff in the hardware section...a rarity in our lowes! It was probably a vendor.

see pics and comments above the pics for info.

The trick here is that we have to make sure the same size cover is purchased from here on out. And, we will be putting our winter cover on this year instead of the pool company so we get the little tee nuts in the spots where we want them. I think I will still use them for the rest of the closing (minus chemicals) because they have the compressor to blow out the lines and I've had a 100% success rate with opening. I took the anchor part he loaned me yesterday back and showed him the new system and he was confident he and his guys could comply with it.

All parts are stainless steel. It's a 1/4 " pronged Tee Nut @ $3.08 each, 1/4 " Fender Washer @ 5 for 3.37, 1/4 " Oval Head Phillips Machine screw @ 5 for 3.28. We started off with a 9/32 tee nut and it just didn't seem strong enough. There was a big difference between 9/32 and 1/4" in terms of its strength and the teeth that grab the wood. They had them bigger. The hole will need predrilled, then the tee nut hammered down, but what's 40 more drill rounds after 1700 sq. ft of new deck, right?

This makes me happy. It's basically the same system we had which works fine, but without the multiple holes in the deck over time, and a non intrusive permanent receptacle for the screw, and most of all not 4 figure price tag!!!

I hope it works. I will show pics when we get one of these set in a scrap piece of wood!

Attachments

• oldwintercoverattachment.jpg
    oldwintercoverattachment.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 447
  • newwintercoverattteenutback.jpg
    newwintercoverattteenutback.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 448
  • newwintcvrattchfull.jpg
    newwintcvrattchfull.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 444
Let me make one suggestion. With threaded stainless on stainless fasteners do youreslf a favor and get some copper based anti-seize and use just a tiny bit on the threads. Stainless on stainless has a bad habit of galling and not letting go. While copper's not good in your pool it's wonderful on stainless fasteners! :mrgreen:

And remember, anti-seize is like brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya!

Bama Rambler said:
Let me make one suggestion. With threaded stainless on stainless fasteners do youreslf a favor and get some copper based anti-seize and use just a tiny bit on the threads. Stainless on stainless has a bad habit of galling and not letting go. While copper's not good in your pool it's wonderful on stainless fasteners! :mrgreen:

And remember, anti-seize is like brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya!

Noted. Thanks. If anyone else has any input, please don't hesitate.

That eliminator pool cover I recommended uses rubber strap to make the cover taunt like a drum cover but the rubber straps also allow the cover to stretch down when a winter snow load accumulates. If you were planning on mounting the cover directly to the deck through the grommets it might damage the cover since it won't stretch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.