Opening Question

poolneophyte

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
We opened way to early because our masonry work is being done. Anyway, other than concrete mortar in the pool, the water is crystal clear. The pump & filter is running but I have not turned on the SWG yet. We have not added any chemicals yet this year and our test reults using the TF100 test kit are as follows:

FC=5
CC=0
TC=5
PH=7.6
TA=80
CH=60
CYA=30

We are uncertain about the volume but now believe the pool to be around 18,000 gallons. I have the following questions:

1. If there is no combined chlorine and the water is crystal clear, is there a reason to bring the FC up to shock level?
2. If we do need to shock it, do we add the stabilizer after shocking the pool so we use less chlorine?
3. I know that I need to bring the salt up to around 3000PPM before I start generating chlorine. When should I turn on the SWG?

Because we opened so early, there will be at least another 1.5 months before anyone will be swimming. I'm not sure if this will affect how my questions are answered but I will mention it anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

1. No, although it would be worth doing an Overnight FC Loss Test just to be certain.
2. Yes
3. For a new pool I understand you usually want to wait 30 days before adding salt; not sure what your situation is but caution suggests doing the same, unless your PB provides other instructions. Somebody else with SWG experience will probably come along and correct me if I'm wrong about that.
--paulr

PaulR said:
3. For a new pool I understand you usually want to wait 30 days before adding salt; not sure what your situation is but caution suggests doing the same, unless your PB provides other instructions. Somebody else with SWG experience will probably come along and correct me if I'm wrong about that.
--paulr

I'm a SWCG noob too, but that is also the way I have come to understand things. New pool/plaster waits 30 days prior to salt addition. Generally speaking though, as long as the salt level is good and the water is warm enough for the cell to generate chlorine (at least 60 degrees for most) then you can turn it on.

Thanks for the responses. My pool has a vinyl liner and already has salt in it from last season. I just need to bring the salt level up to the manufacturer's recommendations. I never though about the water temperature being too low to generate chlorine. I will check my Aquapure manual and see what the minimum temperature is. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.