Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheap test for Metal ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheap test for Metal ?

With the economy so bad in Michigan many pool stores have closed so I don't have anyplace close to have my water tested for metals. Are there any somewhat inexpensive test for metals ?
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cheap test for Metal ?

I'm looking at the Taylor website and I don't see anything that I would classify as cheap, per se. Most are the single analyte tests anyway. The K-1264 is probably the best for pool water metal analysis since it tests for both iron and copper, our usual suspects, but it is $91.60. That's quite spendy for something that you will likely use once.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

When I asked Leslies to test for metals once, they hauled out strips. Another time I found a package at Home Depot that had strips for iron, copper, and a few others, for very cheap. I think to check whether you have metals at all, that might be enough.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR
    When I asked Leslies to test for metals once, they hauled out strips. Another time I found a package at Home Depot that had strips for iron, copper, and a few others, for very cheap. I think to check whether you have metals at all, that might be enough.
    --paulr
    That could be a cheaper option. I guess that all you really need to know is whether you have metals or not and this could fit the bill. I also wonder if maybe aquarium supply places might have something as well. I even bought an ammonia test kit from a pet store once for fairly cheap.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5

AquaChek makes iron and copper test strips. The iron strips cost around $25, while copper strips are around $15 (both Internet prices). I never tried them, so I have no idea how precise they are.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Everyone.. Since I probably will only need to test twice a year I may go ahead and drive whatever it takes to have it tested.
    20*40 Liner 2'-8' deep, Spill Over SPA, Electric Cover, Jandy Purelink (Aquapure & PDA), Hayward SP2610x15 (1.5HP Single Speed), Hayward H300 (Millavolt)