I don't know how to test for FC

Apr 24, 2010
I don't know anything about pools either. I have a wal-mart pool. So here is my question that maybe someone can answer... I don't know how to test for FC according to my handy dandy test thing which only has pH mine is 6.8, my CL is 1.0, and my BR is 2.2. ( I test with the tester that has two slots, one measures CL and BR, the other pH) So if I get one of those floating chlorine things will my FC be alright. Also I did shock and stabilize my pool with chemicals but I don't know what to do now. I assume I need some 20 mule borax?? Also if I don't want to do the chlorine how do I go about using the bleach? I really appreciate your help on this one.

Ignore the BR reading. That is only for bromine pools.

The CL level is what we call TC or total chlorine. TC = FC + CC (free chlorine + combined chlorine). For normal day to day use CC can be assumed to be zero and FC will equal TC.

Your first priority is to raise your PH up to something reasonable. 20 Mule Team Borax is a great way to do that. You need to be careful about amounts right at first, since you don't know what your TA level is. Add about 1/3 of what you think you might need, give it an hour and see how things are and continue adjusting from there.

To know what to do next, you need a full set of water test results. The best thing by far would be to get your own top quality test kit. The TF-100 from TFTestKits.net is really good, see my signature for a link. The Taylor K-2006 is also good. In the mean time you should take your water to a pool store and get test results from them, as Rickey suggested.

I second Jason on getting your own kit, as will everyone here. Personally I have the Taylor K-2006 kit. It might not be the best value but I love the color coordinated tops. It makes it soooo easy to test my water. At first I was very intimidated by the whole thing. I had my kit for a few weeks and was scared to use it. I laugh about it now.. Get the kit! It is a life saver. From there everything will fall into place if you find your routine and stick to it. Good luck and welcome to TFP!!

Read the article that Mag linked you too... alot of helpful tips in there.

Did you use the chemicals from walmart, including stabilizer? How much did you add? Because if you added that, you may not want to use the tablets in a floater if your CYA level is in range - you'd want to use Bleach instead. Be wary if you are using the tablets from HTH brand - they contain copper - it can cause green hair.

esim13 said:
I second Jason on getting your own kit, as will everyone here. Personally I have the Taylor K-2006 kit. It might not be the best value but I love the color coordinated tops. It makes it soooo easy to test my water. At first I was very intimidated by the whole thing. I had my kit for a few weeks and was scared to use it. I laugh about it now.. Get the kit! It is a life saver. From there everything will fall into place if you find your routine and stick to it. Good luck and welcome to TFP!!

Definitely get your own kit.

The TF100 has more of certain reagents you'll use a lot of, is in a clear case, and lacks two tests for pH balancing that the Pool Calculator can do just as good a job at.

The K-2006 has instructions for all the tests on the inside of the lid, with bottles whose tops are the same color as the relevant test, and comes in an opaque blue case. It definitely has a CSI calculating widget, though again the Pool Calculator can do just as good a job of.

I bought the K-2006 because I prefer my chemicals be protected from sunlight, I like the instructions on the inside of the lid, and my fiancee is less likely to object to it sitting on the kitchen counter all summer long.

I got a test kit that test the alkality of the pool here are my numbers, I plugged them in but wanted to double check with someone that knows:

Chlorine= 0.5

pH= 7.2

TA= 30

I have a medal(sp) framed vinyl pool from wal-mart. The liner and sides are all one piece, my filter have the cartriges you replace every 14 days. It is 15ft around and 48 in deep. It holds 4440 gal of H2O. I really do appreciate all of your help Thank You.

Did you read this article?
257WbyMag said:
Here's a good sticky for you to read. It deals with smaller pools like the one you have.
pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

What are you using to add chlorine to the pool?

You need to add Baking Soda, 3 lbs of it. Pre dissolve it in a bucket of pool water and pour it in to the return flow while the pump is running.

Keep in mind your cartridges - they can go 2 weeks but you should hose them off every 3-4 days; also if you develop green or cloudy water then replace it more often.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked at the article, but they don't have my pool size, I don't have an infatable pool. I can actually keep this one up all year according to the instructions included. I do appreciate your help and I will remember to hose off the filter cartridge every 3 days. Thanks again for your help :) Oh I am using a floating thing that I put chlorine tabs in. I can smell the chlorine in the water, but I don't know why it isn't registering??

There are a couple of reasons why you might be seeing only 0.5 chlorine reading. One is that there is something in the pool, like algae, that the chlorine is killing off. So, it's being used up almost as fast as the tabs dissolve.

You could try this: Add about 3 cups of regular unscented bleach (like Clorox) while the pump is running. Give it, oh, 20-30 minutes to circulate, then try testing chlorine again. See if that registers.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.