Pool Opening - Update w/ pics 5/10

May 5, 2009
NC
Hello again everyone! We had an awesome swim season last year after converting from Baquacil to BBB. Pool looked great all winter.....had covered it in October, but had major winds that ripped the cover off in December, so we just left it open after that. Water was crystal clear until early March....when the pollen bomb exploded! The pollen is so thick on the bottom my cleaner can't get across the pool twice without stopping and having to be cleaned. It is very difficult to vacuum with the regular vacuum with the fence around the top. Have been trying to brush, but that is difficult as well. Just tested and CYA is not reading, so I know it should be less than 20. We did have to replace some of the water from closing (CYA last summer was 30) so not sure how much the replacement would affect the CYA.

CL 0
pH 7.8
TA 100
CYA < 20

Should I just use a CYA of 20 and shock to 10? Can I go ahead and shock even though I can't vacuum yet from the pollen. Or does the vacuuming really need to be done first? I have no idea how I'm going to do it without getting in there....which I really don't want to do! We had alot of pollen last year when we coverted, but nowhere near this bad. I'm really not sure what to do. I'm also assuming some of this could be algae. Thanks for your help!

Re: Pool Opening (looks like a pollen bomb went off)

Wanted to add that I know our pool would have looked fantastic if the cover would have stayed on, but we live in a very windy rural area (all open) and it was so cold and too hard to put the cover back on when it came off. We didn't end up using jugs to hold it down, just the cable and lots of deluxe clips....will know better next time! Like I said before, BBB had it sparkling until early March and then the pollen hit.

It is much better to remove the pollen first. You can shock without removing the pollen, but you will have to brush twice as much and it will take more chlorine.

It is best to get your CYA level back up to at least 30 before shocking. If you do shock without adding CYA, your shock level is indeed 10.

Also, I suggest lowering the PH down to 7.5 before you start shocking.

Ok, been searching for how to add MA & can't find it.....can't remember. Do I just add slowly in front of the return? I bought it last summer, but never needed it and now I forgot how to use it :hammer: Thanks.

Yes, add the MA slowly in front of the return and wait at least an hour before adding any other chemical. Will the railing come off the top of the pool easily? I see you have a pool rover, you may also want to invest or borrow a Ranger above ground cleaner. The hose is connected to the suction opening in the skimmer and the debris goes into the pump basket and filter. You won't have to clean until the pump basket fills with leaves or the filter needs backwashing to clear out the pollen. Also if you have a telescoping pole, you can try extending it all the way and vacuuming as far as you can reach from your little entry deck and let the rover handle the rest. Lastly you can try running the pump 24/7 and stirring up the water with the brush so the pollen is suspended and let the filter catch as much as it can.

stephanie4136 said:
Ok, been searching for how to add MA & can't find it.....can't remember. Do I just add slowly in front of the return?

Yes, and do not breath the fumes. Be safer with gloves and glasses.

Let it mix for at least 30 minutes with pump running BEFORE you add any chlorine.

MA & chlorine do not play nice together. Also, do not store them close together.

Just reminders :wink:

I bought it last summer, but never needed it and now I forgot how to use it :hammer: Thanks.

zea3 said:
Yes, add the MA slowly in front of the return and wait at least an hour before adding any other chemical. Will the railing come off the top of the pool easily? I see you have a pool rover, you may also want to invest or borrow a Ranger above ground cleaner. The hose is connected to the suction opening in the skimmer and the debris goes into the pump basket and filter. You won't have to clean until the pump basket fills with leaves or the filter needs backwashing to clear out the pollen. Also if you have a telescoping pole, you can try extending it all the way and vacuuming as far as you can reach from your little entry deck and let the rover handle the rest. Lastly you can try running the pump 24/7 and stirring up the water with the brush so the pollen is suspended and let the filter catch as much as it can.

The fence will probably come down easy, but it won't go back so easily....it was a real pain in the butt to install. I do have a telescoping pole and used it to brush as much as I could. So one half of the pool is cloudy, but you can see the bottom and the other side that I can't reach looks brown (yuck!) I think I will try to hand vac as much as possible tomorrow, looks like it is getting ready to storm. We have been running the pump on high 24/7. I've had to clean the cartridge twice already since we got the pump started back (probably needs to be done every day though). At this point, I just can't imagine having my sparkling pool back. :cry: Thanks for your help. :)

Update w/ pics.......looking good now!

Still need to add some more CYA, didn't have much left from last year. I just left the pH alone after looking back at my readings from last summer (had an occassional 7.8, but always came back down on it's own)...is now 7.5

ETA: There was lots of algae in there...what a pain!

Thanks everyone again for all your awesome advice! :-D

[attachment=2:2fo609by]DSC_1239resize.jpg[/attachment:2fo609by]
[attachment=1:2fo609by]DSC_1240resize.jpg[/attachment:2fo609by]
[attachment=0:2fo609by]DSC_1433resize.jpg[/attachment:2fo609by]

Attachments

• DSC_1239resize.jpg
    DSC_1239resize.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_1240resize.jpg
    DSC_1240resize.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC_1433resize.jpg
    DSC_1433resize.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 139
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.