Time to Buy a new pump!!!

May 10, 2009
Ok ... That dreaded time has come to buy a new pump!!! ... I have made some changes to my plumbing since the pump was orginally installed ... My main question is how much horsepower can I get away with!!!

Here are some details:

I only have an IG Spa ... Currently running 8 jets ... Orginally it was plumbed with 2" Suction and return, with 6 sets, so they sold me a 2HP pump ... When the plumbing was redone last year, they made a few changes ...

- I have 2" suction line inside the spa, it runs about 6' then converts to 2.5" all the way back to the pump about 25'
- I have a 2.5" return line that runs from the pump to the jets where it converts down to 1.5"

Can I get away with with using a 2.5HP pump???? Would I see a difference in the waterflow between the 2HP and the 2.5HP??

Thx ...

personally id stay with a 2hp.. im the type that if its not broke dont fix it kinda thing..If you were happy with the 2hp that is.
i dont think an extra .5 hp will make much of a differance.

Can you post some pics of your spa and plumbing? Not that it has anything to do with my answer, i would just like to see it! :)

A larger pump will move more water, but the difference won't be dramatic. At this point, going with a larger pump mostly depends on the size of your filter and the rating of your electrical system. It sounds like the plumbing could handle it, but without more info there is no way of knowing if your filter/wiring could. Keep in mind that a larger pump costs more to use.

This pump is not connected to the filter ... I have a seperate 1hp pump on the filter ... Personally, I'd like the jets to be stronger ... I have tried using a blower, but, it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.