Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time to Buy a new pump!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Time to Buy a new pump!!!

Ok ... That dreaded time has come to buy a new pump!!! ... I have made some changes to my plumbing since the pump was orginally installed ... My main question is how much horsepower can I get away with!!!

Here are some details:

I only have an IG Spa ... Currently running 8 jets ... Orginally it was plumbed with 2" Suction and return, with 6 sets, so they sold me a 2HP pump ... When the plumbing was redone last year, they made a few changes ...

- I have 2" suction line inside the spa, it runs about 6' then converts to 2.5" all the way back to the pump about 25'
    - I have a 2.5" return line that runs from the pump to the jets where it converts down to 1.5"

Can I get away with with using a 2.5HP pump???? Would I see a difference in the waterflow between the 2HP and the 2.5HP??

Thx ...
    18' x 36' vinyl, 3' shallow - 9' deep
    Hayward Perflex E65
    Hayward Superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time to Buy a new pump!!!

personally id stay with a 2hp.. im the type that if its not broke dont fix it kinda thing..If you were happy with the 2hp that is.
    i dont think an extra .5 hp will make much of a differance.

Can you post some pics of your spa and plumbing? Not that it has anything to do with my answer, i would just like to see it!
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    "HECK OF A POOL SERVICE LLC"
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW
    http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]

3. Back To Top    #3

A larger pump will move more water, but the difference won't be dramatic. At this point, going with a larger pump mostly depends on the size of your filter and the rating of your electrical system. It sounds like the plumbing could handle it, but without more info there is no way of knowing if your filter/wiring could. Keep in mind that a larger pump costs more to use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

This pump is not connected to the filter ... I have a seperate 1hp pump on the filter ... Personally, I'd like the jets to be stronger ... I have tried using a blower, but, it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.
    18' x 36' vinyl, 3' shallow - 9' deep
    Hayward Perflex E65
    Hayward Superpump.

5. Back To Top    #5

What jets and jet bodies are installed?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.