Green to less green with Blue Fog

Jul 21, 2008
I am fighting my Algae Swamp and Since I have today off for Confederate Memorial Day (thanks for losing Confederates) I have been able to hit it hard for 3 days.

10 PM April 25th
-----------------------------------------
FC - 5+ (added 2 gallons before bed)
PH - 7.6
TA - 70
CYA - 20

8 AM April 26th
FC - 1.5
PH - 6.8
TA - ?
CYA -20

I added 1.42 Gallons of Clorox, but how much Borax do you add to get PH in line? A 1/2 cup, a cup, a box? Where is a good place to start? Why does pH flux so much over night? Just curious... I'm off to buy more Bleach.

inbamanow said:
I am fighting my Algae Swamp and Since I have today off for Confederate Memorial Day (thanks for losing Confederates) I have been able to hit it hard for 3 days.

10 PM April 25th
FC - 5+ (added 2 gallons before bed)
PH - 7.6
TA - 70
CYA - 20

8 AM April 26th
FC - 1.5
PH - 6.8
TA - ?
CYA -20

I added 1.42 Gallons of Clorox, but how much Borax do you add to get PH in line? A 1/2 cup, a cup, a box? Where is a good place to start? Why does pH flux so much over night? Just curious... I'm off to buy more Bleach.

Here is a good place to start the pool calculator.

http://thepoolcalculator.com/

If you have any questions about it ask. It is pretty easy to do. At the top where it says gallons, put in your pool gallons. Then you will see each test has it own section. In the first box that is the one for the Now value (current test value). The second box is the goal (what you are trying to get to). Over to the right it will tell you what to add and how much.

Also this will be another page you will want to look at.

CYA/Chlorine Chart

pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

With a CYA of 20, you will need to have a FC of 10 and maintain that overnight with a loss of less than 1.0. Once you get there then your pool should start clearing up.

This tells you how to do the overnight FC loss test

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Have you read the pool school yet in the upper right hand corner? If not here is the link and has a lot of great information.

pool-school/

Also I am not sure about the quality of your test kits, but I recommend for you the TF100XL, which can be found here.

http://tftestkits.net/TFTestkits-TF-100-XL-p54.html

This magnetic stirrer is awesome and will help with your test as well. It helps your test get mixed better than doing it by hand.

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

I am sure others will be along with some more information as well and good luck.

My pool is 90% blue... but grayish as it goes deeper... I can see all three steps of both the ladder and the steps.
But, am I shocking enough? Or should I give the process more time doing what I am doing... I am on case 5 of Clorox since Saturday.
For about an hour I left the manual vacuum about a foot off the bottom of the deep-end to cycle that water. I only have the Skimmer to get water to the filter... I was wondering which Auto vacuum you guys would recommend for this situation. Will the Jacuzzi Tracker/The PoolCleaner handle that much suction on the 1" tubing?
Maybe I should separate this post....

5 PM April 28th
FC - 1.5 (added 2 gallons of bleach)
PH - 7.2 (added 3 cups of Borax)
TA - 70
CYA - 20

It sounds like you are most of the way there, but not quite done.

You don't necessarily have a problem with circulation, the more water you look through the cloudier the water will seem, even if all the water is well mixed. If you are worried about it, you can adjust your return(s) to improve circulation somewhat. If you don't have a main drain you want a return that aims down towards the bottom of the deep end, to help mix up the deep water.

inbamanow said:
My pool is 90% blue... but grayish as it goes deeper... I can see all three steps of both the ladder and the steps.
But, am I shocking enough? Or should I give the process more time doing what I am doing... I am on case 5 of Clorox since Saturday.
For about an hour I left the manual vacuum about a foot off the bottom of the deep-end to cycle that water. I only have the Skimmer to get water to the filter... I was wondering which Auto vacuum you guys would recommend for this situation. Will the Jacuzzi Tracker/The PoolCleaner handle that much suction on the 1" tubing?
Maybe I should separate this post....

5 PM April 28th
FC - 1.5 (added 2 gallons of bleach)
PH - 7.2 (added 3 cups of Borax)
TA - 70
CYA - 20

Edit for incorrect info given.

Yeah, with my less than stellar test kit... I just know my FC is 5 or higher, so it is hard to tell where I am.

Good news is... this morning the Yellow is nice and dark so minimal loss of Cl last night. Me = Happy

Running Pool Pump 24 hours hit a snag though... I thought it was loud last night at 10pm when I was doing my finally check. I even checked it out the window a few times before we went to bed to ensure it was running. Well, this morning the waters were calm... too calm.

My WhisperFlo has Flowed it's last water...

EPIC FAIL@!@!

mynewpool said:
In my post above I put up a link on how to shock your pool. You need to test when it gets dark. Make sure bleach is the last chemical you add at night. I assume you are running your pump 24 hrs. So try to test the FC in the morning before the sun comes up if possible or as early as possibly before sun is hitting the pool directly. When your FC drops 1.0 or less than you are done shocking. Until that happens keep on shocking. I went through about 40 jugs (182 oz) before I was done.
The OP actually has 3 criteria to determine when he is done shocking:

A. CC is 0.5 or lower;

B. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;

C. And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.

OP, it would help you trememdously to have the FAS-DPD test. You can order one from TFTestKits, link in my sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.