Going out of town

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I will be going out of town for 3 days. I will be leaving early Friday morning and returning Sunday night. I do not have anyone to maintain my pool. So my question is what do I need to do to make sure stuff does not get out of hand? I know it is only a few days but you never know. My assumption is to lower the pH to around 7-7.2 as it will rise a little, and then put in enough bleach to bring it to shock level?

Other vacation is I will be gone for a week from June 30th-July 7th. Again I will not have anyone to maintain the pool. I am guessing bring it up to shock level and drop the pH to around 7-7.2. The temps will be more extreme at this time and I am sure FC will get eaten up. I am worried about this one as I will be gone much longer. I am worried about running my pump the whole time I am gone, as during christmas it got all clogged up. I may be able to have someone check the skimmber basket every few days to empty it. I do not want them to have to mess with testing or anything though.

Thanks for your time.

For only 3 days I'd do as you said. Raise it to shock level and by the time you get back things should be fine.

For the longer vacation I'd suggest putting a floater in your pool with pucks in it if your CYA can stand it. I'd leave the pump on the timer and just have someone check it every few days.

If you can't cover the pool - I suggest you use a floater with tablets for the weeklong vacation, this will help keep the PH in check too.
3 days you shouldn't have to worry - just shock before you go. I've read so many threads my brain is mush... how much is your PH rising over the course of 3 days?

BAMA!!! GMTA :goodjob:

frustratedpoolmom said:
If you can't cover the pool - I suggest you use a floater with tablets for the weeklong vacation, this will help keep the PH in check too.
3 days you shouldn't have to worry - just shock before you go. I've read so many threads my brain is mush... how much is your PH rising over the course of 3 days?

BAMA!!! GMTA :goodjob:

I will check today and test pH. Then I can check again on Thursday.

Bama Rambler said:
For only 3 days I'd do as you said. Raise it to shock level and by the time you get back things should be fine.

For the longer vacation I'd suggest putting a floater in your pool with pucks in it if your CYA can stand it. I'd leave the pump on the timer and just have someone check it every few days.

I have not had a chance to change out the timer, but I should be able to before then.

You've gotten great advice, but I just wanna tell you what we do for the three day trips.

If leaving Fri morning: On Thurs nite, bring to shock level, run pump for one hour and turn off. The end.

.... until we get home on Sunday and crank it back up again.

We do not use any type cover and have never run our pump at night (always shut down about an hour after evening dose).

Not saying this is for you, just saying it works for us :wink:

If it was my pool skimmer would be full in one day or less. Last time I was gone for a week, about three weeks ago, my house sitter was almost in tears having to spend so much time taking care of the pool: basically emptying the Pool Skim bag a couple of time a day, skimmer sock twice a day, Aquabot bag taken out in morning, new bag, put back in at night, some liquid chlorine every couple of days, and topping off the water once a day......... she's young and not used to so much responsibility. :roll: And she only had two dogs to care for instead of five.

For three days I'd do as others have suggested. Raise the chlorine to shock and turn pump off. You might have debris to clean up but at least you know things won't get clogged up.

For a week you could do the same, put in a floater or two and use a submersible pump to keep the water circulating some; pump at one end, long hose, putting water back in the other end. You also wouldn't have to worry about water levels as the submersible will have plenty of water sitting on the bottom.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.