Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You'd think I'd know better...

1. Back To Top    #1

You'd think I'd know better...

In three full seasons of BBB I've only gotten ONE small spot on my clothing when adding bleach. One!
    In three weeks of using trichlor in a floater, I've ruined 4 articles of clothing. 4!!! Argh.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: You'd think I'd know better...

Shame on you!

Don't feel too bad, I thought I'd ruined a pair of shorts the other day filling the liquidator. A single splash of bleach spit out but luckily it landed on my knee and not my pants.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    In three full seasons of BBB I've only gotten ONE small spot on my clothing when adding bleach. One!
    I only wish that was my case
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Hah! Serves you right for using pucks.

I ruined one shirt (a dress shirt, at that,) opening my chlorinator last year. After that, I always made it a point to either be wearing my grubbies or a shop apron. I haven't bothered with either so far this season using bleach. I measure the bleach into a marked pitcher sitting in the mud sink, lower the whole pitcher into the water, and let the water flow slowly wash the bleach out. I then rinse it thoroughly before I take it back out. It will work great this way until the day I trip on the way to the pool and spill 2 quarts of bleach on my good clothes.
    24' AG Round (vinyl replaced 0909) - 13500 gal - Sand Dollar Filter (150lb) - Dynamo DYNII-N1-1 1HP - Hayward HP380 Heat Pump - TF-100.
    Central Missouri

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

5. Back To Top    #5

It helps if you don't try to hide them under your shirt because you don't want anybody to see you sneaking the trichlor.

Seriously though--rubber gloves. I learned that early on, the pucks rub off on anything including skin, it used to take me a couple serious washes to get the smell off.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL

Actually after the fact I thought about the rubber gloves... I washed my hands right away but they were kinda tingly after.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

7. Back To Top    #7

FPM is a closet, trichlor junkie
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Shame on you!

Don't feel too bad, I thought I'd ruined a pair of shorts the other day filling the liquidator. A single splash of bleach spit out but luckily it landed on my knee and not my pants.
    Mine always lands on my knee in that case; I never wear anything but shorts

9. Back To Top    #9

Me too. I have a pair of black scrubs pants in which both legs are speckled like a robin's egg from bleach splatter. I got lazy and was probably in a hurry. Didn't notice it until later, while at work.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

10. Back To Top    #10

or you could be like me...I desperately needed to get into the pool and scrub in the middle of shocking at a high FC, so I donned my DH's Waders and off I went....never got a drop on me!
    ABG Easy Set 18 x 48
    5455 gallons
    SWG
    Intex Pump 4000 GPM - Size B cartridge

11. Back To Top    #11

I have two pairs of shorts and four t-shirts that are dedicated to "pool care" and all are speckled with something. My wife says I'm just sloppy, but I've been telling her that I read somewhere on the forum that it was just a normal part of being the pool boy. Did I get that wrong?!

There's also this strange place on my thigh where the skin is coming off. I'm fairly sure that's only because my shorts aren't long enough, but now I'm starting to wonder ...

Just joking about the skin thing, of course!
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

12. Back To Top    #12

In three weeks of using trichlor in a floater, I've ruined 4 articles of clothing. 4!!! Argh.
    I wiped out 2 pairs of cargo's last summer when the bottom hem of them became "spotted" due to small bleach splashes BUT NEVER TRICHLOR!
    My answer: Cut off the legs, hem the bottoms (with the fashion-necessary ties hanging out, yea I have teenagers!) and have cargo shorts.

Muratic does a number on leather deck shoes too! I know, now it's always by "yard pants" when working with chemicals.
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

13. Back To Top    #13

I guess I am lucky so far, Have not gotten the spots yet. LOL But I am sure my time is coming!!! I live out in the country and i go out after dark in my undies and get water sample and then add what i need to.... but for you city folks that may not work real well....
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

LOL - Yeah, um that won't work at all here...

15. Back To Top    #15

LOL - Yeah, um that won't work at all here...
    You need a taller fence.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

16. Back To Top    #16

I have to admit Ive been a victim of splash out, not once, but twice on cargo shorts. If they had only been a bit shorter than it would have been no harm no foul. I did brave it this weekend while wearing my police uniform to work an extra job and wanted to up my FC before leaving. Talk about low and slow

Chris
    13,500 gallon free form Pebble Tec pool- 2 skimmers
    Pentair Intelli-Flow filter pump, Pentair Intelli-Super Flo booster pump, waterfall pump, Del Ozone Eclipse 1 generator, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge filtration, Nature 2 XG Clear Vision, In-line Chlorinator, Polaris 280, Raypack heater, and Color Logic LED lights.

Proud user of BBB, pool school, pool calculator, TF-100, and the advice of the friendly people here!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by chris4150
    I have to admit Ive been a victim of splash out, not once, but twice on cargo shorts. If they had only been a bit shorter than it would have been no harm no foul. I did brave it this weekend while wearing my police uniform to work an extra job and wanted to up my FC before leaving. Talk about low and slow

Chris
    hahaha, I've done the same, esp in spring while shocking, I'd stop by during the day to add some bleach VERY carefully. Be hard to explain to the Sgt how I got bleach stains on my new black pants.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    You need a taller fence.
    They don't make a fence tall enough...Mine is 6 ft tall...I feel as though I'm on stage while by my pool....

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    You need a taller fence.
    They don't make a fence tall enough...Mine is 6 ft tall...I feel as though I'm on stage while by my pool....
    The neighbor behind us has a set up similar to yours. I wonder if she knows we can see her from the street when she gets in the pool sans top!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

you all need to move to the country.... The way i look at it is, my underwear are just like my swim suit, just a different style... LOL But i have had bleach splash up on my leg before... just a good reason to jump in...
    My nearest neighbor is a mile away and she is 88 and does not drive, so I am pretty safe in my birthday suit...
    Anyway guys be careful of the spots...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast