Going to attempt to convert to salt water!

tim1

Apr 26, 2010
I have grown tired of fighting the chemical battle to keep my pool clean. Today I am buying a Krystal Clear Deluxe Saltwater modedl 8110. I would really enjoy any information on the how to and when to's of Saltwater. I completely pumped my pool dry this weekend and have started to refill it with the trusty garden hose, hopefully it will be filled early tomorrow.
So where do I go from there? I do not trust the local pool company and hope this sight can help me maintain a clean and clear pool. :party:

Welcome to TFP.

The chemistry of a pool using a SWCG is the same as for any other chlorine pool except for the salt. The chlorine is generated by the unit, and the pump run time needs to be adjusted to maintain sufficient chlorine for sanitization.

There is plenty of good reading in Pool School

I have printed most of the Pool School, and have also read quite a bit of it. I even tried to use the calculator to determine how much salt to add at an intial start-up of fresh water. I was hoping that I might get an intial dose amount so I have a starting point to get my pool started in the right direction.

You need to get a salt test done first - as all water has some salt in it. A fresh fill likely has less than your prior water though. But still it's a good starting point. So go take a sample to the pool store and ask them to test the salt level along with a full set of results. Then use that salt level as your "now" value and enter the recommended level from the manual into the "target" value - hit calculate.

Then if you post your full set of test results here- we'll help you get squared away on the rest.

Do you have your own test kit? We recommend two - there is an article in Pool School that compares them. That's your next stop. :)

Welcome to TFP :wave:

The only thing about the 8110 is that it produces less chlorine than last years model AND it has copper ionization electrodes. You'll want to disconnect those. It's just a connector that you can unplug. The salt needs to be between 2500 & 3500ppm. Also, the manual calls for no more than 30ppm CYA (stabilizer) but you'll want to run it higher than that. Read Pool School about operating SWG's and the recommended levels.

As with any other SWCG you'll have to keep a closer eye on your pH as it will tend to drive it up.

Thanks for the comments! I just installed the 8110 and replumbed my filter system. I have the hoses running into the pool now and hope to have it filled sometime early tomorrow morning. So pool mom you say to get the salt tested and a full set of test results once the pool is filled and post those results here for more guidance. So that is what I will do, I cannot believe there will be much salt in the local well water but I need to start somewhere. I do not have a test kit but once this is set up and working I will order one of the kits recommended here. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works and my pool comes out as clear water....

tim1 said:
Thanks for the comments! I just installed the 8110 and replumbed my filter system. I have the hoses running into the pool now and hope to have it filled sometime early tomorrow morning. So pool mom you say to get the salt tested and a full set of test results once the pool is filled and post those results here for more guidance. So that is what I will do, I cannot believe there will be much salt in the local well water but I need to start somewhere. I do not have a test kit but once this is set up and working I will order one of the kits recommended here. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works and my pool comes out as clear water....

I think you’ll have a lot more luck getting it to work if you have a way to test the free and combined chlorine.

More precisely:
- Testing the FC in the water coming out of the return will be your best confirmation that it is working.
- You’ll need to monitor the FC & CC in your water to set your run time & duty level.

I intend to buy a test kit! I do not understand why some think that my pool will have salt in it though! I have never had salt in the pool and completely pumped out the old water and have started from scratch. I use to use Baquacil and had alot of problems. So how can my pool water contain ANY salt at this time? I would like to know how much to put in the pool for the initial set-up so I can get it started and then get the water tested?

tim1 said:
I intend to buy a test kit! I do not understand why some think that my pool will have salt in it though! I have never had salt in the pool and completely pumped out the old water and have started from scratch. I use to use Baquacil and had alot of problems. So how can my pool water contain ANY salt at this time? I would like to know how much to put in the pool for the initial set-up so I can get it started and then get the water tested?

All water except rain water has some salt.

Honestly, the amount of salt in a fresh fill is almost nill. For all practical purposes, you just start out at zero and add enough to bring it up to the level required by the generator. Even if you have 300-400 ppm (unlikely from a fresh fill) that's basically the error in a strip or SWG-measured salinity level. Meaning it could read zero, it could read 400.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Bk, thats what I was thinking also! I hoped someone would have an idea of how many pounds of salt to dislove and pump into a 7600 gallon pool of CLEAN water to get this process started. <---- is lost about where to start or what to do next!

Do not assume that salt starts at zero. A couple of hundred ppm of salt in municipal water is common enough. And even if the fill water has zero salt, by the time you balance the PH, TA, CH, and CYA levels there will be salt in the water, usually several hundred ppm.

If your SWG doesn't have a salt meter, assume there is 500 ppm of salt to start with, raise the salt from there to the recommended level, and then see if the SWG is happy with the salt level or not. It is far easier to add more salt later then it is to take salt out when you go over.

you will most likely have 200ppm or less for salt in your new fill. I just opened mine up from the winter, and tested salt..I have well water, and a water softener as well..and my pool 25,600 gallons test under 200 ppm. I need to get it up to 5500 ppm now. that's about 29 bags of salt. :)

OK to the pool store I go today when they open to get the water tested. dman, the pump was purchased used and without a little booklet(instructions) so its the blind following no idea where to start. Hopefully my well water has some salt level and the pool gurus can give me an idea of how much to add and what to do next. I hope everyone understands I am not bashing anyone just lost and very confused on what to do and how to do it.

tim1 said:
OK to the pool store I go today when they open to get the water tested. dman, the pump was purchased used and without a little booklet(instructions) so its the blind following no idea where to start. Hopefully my well water has some salt level and the pool gurus can give me an idea of how much to add and what to do next. I hope everyone understands I am not bashing anyone just lost and very confused on what to do and how to do it.

Hey Tim...no worries. Aim for 2800ppm, you can adjust upward from there if you happen to get the 91 code error (low salt). The 92 code means you have added too much salt. The intex likes the 2700-3500ppm range. The reason most here are warning that you may have some salt to start with is that most water, although it may be minimal, has salt in it. Once you've added too much salt...it is a pain to bring the level down...it's a lot easier to aim lower and add salt to adjust.

Here are some faq's I found googling your specific model

http://www.intexstore.com/FAQSaltwaterSystems-Model8110.aspx#02

OK I took the water to the pool store here and they checked the water, the salt was less then 100 ppm. THe sent a pool guy out here and he cheecked everything abou tthe pool out and now they say that my pump (3/4 hp) is to big for my filter. I have not found anyone yet that sells 1/2hp pumps but my search begins now. If I cant find a used or newer 1/2 hp pump then the tractor might get its dream come true........Wish me luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.