Converting with Bleach

W

Windsurfer50

I plan to convert soon and have been reading the Pool School and threads and have a TF-100 test kit.
I have some questions:
1. I believe I noted the bleach should be poured into the pool at the inlet into the pool. I assume pouring into the skimmer would not be good for equipment.
2. Can bleach be added with the solar cover on? Just pull back enough to pour?
3. What is the maintenance level of bleach required? I saw a thread that said 1 gal per two days which is approximately 15 gal per month.
4. Looks like I need about 20-30 gal to start and plan to buy more in a couple of day, correct?
5. I also read a thread from 'waterbear' a pool guy that recommends using Sodium Percarbonate that will speed up the process. Why do you not recommend this?

Thanks for you help and I know it is the busy time of year so I hope I need minimum help. :lol:

Re: Converting Soon

Welcome to TFP! Converting from Baquacil takes some work but it is worth the trip, so to speak, according to those who have done it.

Here's a sticky on the conversion process...

pool-school/baqua_chlorine_conversion

In response to your questions...

1. I believe I noted the bleach should be poured into the pool at the inlet into the pool. I assume pouring into the skimmer would not be good for equipment.
Yes, you should pour the bleach in front of a return while the pump is running.

2. Can bleach be added with the solar cover on? Just pull back enough to pour?
You can do this, yes.

3. What is the maintenance level of bleach required? I saw a thread that said 1 gal per two days which is approximately 15 gal per month.
It depends on the size of your pool.

4. Looks like I need about 20-30 gal to start and plan to buy more in a couple of day, correct?
You need to get your FC to 15 and keep it there throughout the conversion process. It does take LOTS of bleach, but I don't know if your pool will take the full 30 gallons, more, or less.

5. I also read a thread from 'waterbear' a pool guy that recommends using Sodium Percarbonate that will speed up the process. Why do you not recommend this?
I don't believe that this is recommended or needed.

Using sodium percarbonate can speed up the conversion, but it is more expensive than bleach/liquid chlorine and we have less experience with it.

Typical chlorine usage after the conversion is over is around 2 ppm per day, which would be about 1.5 quarts per day for your pool.

You don't want the solar cover on during the conversion. You can add bleach with the solar cover on during routine use, but not during the conversion and not for a while after the conversion.

I recently converted from Baquacil, my pool is approximately 17,800 gallons, and I used 96 gallons of bleach for the entire process.
It is totally worth the conversion, but it is a process, not an overnight project.
Ruth

Is this a new solar cover, or was it used during prior baq seasons? It may be contaminated with Baq.
Jason, would it make sense to put it on during the end stage of the conversion - before changing the sand?
Or should Windsurfer clean it manually with diluted bleach and water? Or should they consider just replacing it?

If the cover has been used with baquacil it should be put on for a couple of hours right near the end of the conversion to get any residual baquacil off. But it shouldn't be left on very long. The high FC levels used during the conversion can damage the cover and the cover can cause the CC level to go up if it is on for very long, which would slow down the conversion.

I never thought about the solar cover, but I'll work on that as you suggested. What about the winter cover that I'm removing before this conversion? We usually wash it down with a mild soapy water.
I bought my first batch of bleach from Wal-Mart (12) 182 oz bottles at $2.54 each. They are ordering more. Plan to get started tomorrow afternoon with removing the cover, getting the pump running, and checking the PH and learning the calculator for amount of bleach to start. I will take picture and let you know how it's going. :goodjob:

Do you have a pool store near you? You might be able to find liquid chlorine 10-12.5% for a good price, which would mean less jugs to haul around. Just a thought. My local store sells it for $2.99 a gallon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have the pump running, water temp is 55 degrees, checked Baq test strip = 0 Oxidizer, lt green Sanitizer, Ph test from K-1000 is 7.8, FC must be 0 as water stayed clear, no pink.
I plan to add bleach in the morning, calculator says to add (2) 182 oz jugs to get from 0 to 15 ppm.
Do I need to do anything with the ph? Do I need to test for anything else?
It's dark now so I'll get pics in the morning with the first bleach add.

Finally got the PH to 9.2 and added bleach at 6 pm. We have the colors with pics attached, one before bleach and one after.
I have one question on the FC test. When I add the drops and the water clears immediately, but if you wait 15, 30 or 60 seconds, it turns pink again. Do you keep droping until it never turns pink? what is the most accruate?

Attachments

• P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    428.1 KB · Views: 428
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 428

On the FC test, you want the sample to turn completely clear for at least 5 seconds, preferably 15 seconds, of swirling. Ideally it should stay clear for about a minute, but the higher the CC level the more quickly it will turn pink again after going clear. Once it has been actually clear for several seconds you move on to the CC phase of the test.

Of course you might want to skip the CC phase of the test for the next several days. Your CC level is going to be quite high for a while during the first half of a conversion and there is no point in wasting the reagents. Later on, when the FC level is no longer going to zero really quickly, it will be time to do the CC portion again.

Latest update, the water is looking much better. We have been having many interruption so we haven't been very good with the hourly checking and adding bleach. I have attached pics from day 2 and 3, as you can see there is a lot of difference. Day 4 is pretty much the same as the latest pic on Saturday PM. Still working on getting the TC to hold longer and expect a few more days and more bleach. :party:

Attachments

• P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 392
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 392
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    360.5 KB · Views: 392

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.